|American Cultures merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||017|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2008|
|“||The United States is a nation of immigrants. Every person came to America from somewhere else—or their ancestors did—and understanding these various cultural backgrounds can help Scouts to live in harmony with others in our varied and increasingly multicultural society.||”|
American Cultures merit badge requirements
Choose THREE groups that have different racial, cultural, national, or ethnic backgrounds, one of which comes from your own background. Use these groups to meet requirements 1, 2, and 3.
- The BSA Cultural Awareness Troop Program Feature offers meeting and activity plans to include American Cultures as one of your monthly themes.
- American Cultures is a rare merit badge!
- The Troop Cultural Awareness Monthly Theme includes meeting and activity materials.
1 - 5. American Cultures resources:
- Library of Congress - songs, dances, poems, and stories
- America's Story - Story of cultures in America
- Library of Congress Jukebox - Cultural music
- Library of Congress American Memory Exhibit - Historic maps, photos, documents, audio and video
- General Cultural Links:
- US Government's Cultures and Ethnic Groups links - Digital History: Ethnic America - The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation - Immigration - Ethnic Group Links
- American Heroes - Notable persons of black, Irish, Hispanic, Jewish, Christian, and American Indian heritages.
- Wikipedia: Ethnic Groups in the US - Wikipedia: Melting pot - Center for Applied Studies in American Ethnicity - Project Race
- Cultural Groups
- African American: Biography: Black History - Black History - Famous Black Inventors - Notable African Americans - Encyclopedia of Prominent African-Americans - Black History Month – Teacher Resources - Famous Black Americans - African American Links - University of NC Black Culture site -
- American Indian: Indian Lore Merit Badge - Top 10 Famous American Indians - Notable American Indians - American Indian Studies Indian Tribes
- Arab American: Arab American Institute - Arab American Links
- Asian American: Library of Congress Asian Resources - Notable Asian Pacific Americans - Asian-Nation - Asian American Links
- Hispanic American: Library of Congress Hispanic Resources - Notable Hispanic Americans - Hispanic Heritage - Hispanic-Heritage Resources for Teachers - Notable Hispanic Americans - Hispanic Heritage Hispanic American Links - Black History
- Jewish American: National Jewish Committee on Scouting - American Jewish history - Jewish-American History on the Web - Jewish American Links
- White Cultural Groups: British - German - Irish - American - Italian - Polish - French - Scottish - Dutch - Norwegian - Scots-Irish - Swedish - Russian
- Cultural Events: Library of Congress Cultural Events and PlacesState Tourism Offices - State Tourism Sites
|Personal development-related awards
|General Merit Badge information
- The African American Registry The story of the first African American Boy Scout Troop
- Center for the Study of White American Culture
- LDS Scouting
- National Catholic Committee on Scouting
- Native Americans: Laws and Treaties
- American History at About.com
- American Indian Studies
- America's Story From America's Library
- Arab American Institute
- Customs and Culture in the U.S.
- Digital History: Ethnic America
- Jewish-American History on the Web
- The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation
- Test of Courage