Key Merit Badge Rules
- "Any Boy Scout may earn any merit badge at any time. You don't need to have had rank advancement to be eligible. " - BSR p. 22
- When can you start? "Unless otherwise specified, work for a requirement can be started at any time." - BSR p. 22 Some Require Prior Approval
- Where are the answers? The merit badge pamphlets (book) are full-color quick references with the answers, photos, and diagrams you need.
- "You should read the merit badge pamphlet on the subject." - BSR p. 22
- You can buy a merit badge pamplet (book) at your local Scout Shop or you can buy them online at:http://www.scoutstuff.org/.
- Are worksheets requried? No. Merit Badge Worksheets are options tools to help you organize your work and include the logs, diagrams, and checklists you need.
- Do you need a buddy? "You must have another person with you at each meeting with the merit badge counselor." - BSR p. 22
- How are you tested? ""In the end, the Scout must be reviewed individually by the counselor to ensure completion of the badges requirements." - AP p. 26
- "You are expected to meet the requirements as they are stated—no more and no less." - BSR p. 23
- How do you get credit? "When the counselor is satisfied that you have met each requirement, he or she will sign your application." - BSR p. 23
- '"There is no time limit for completion of merit badges other than age 18." - AP p.34
- "Partial completion of merit badges should be credited to a Scout on the Application for Merit Badge..." - AP p.34
- What if you have Special Needs? "Merit badges are awarded only when all requirements are met as stated." - AP p.41
See the Merit Badge FAQ and the Merit Badge Policies for more.