2010 Historic Merit Badge Program
m (2010 Historical Merit Badge Program moved to 2010 Historic Merit Badge Program: Correct name to match BSA)
Revision as of 14:04, April 7, 2010
A merit badge called Computers would sound just as crazy to a 1910 Boy Scout as a merit badge called Tracking sounds to Scouts today. That’s because the BSA’s list of available merit badges has evolved through the years as the interests of boys have changed.
In honor of the BSA’s 100th Anniversary, though, today’s generation of Scouts will get the unique opportunity to experience some of the activities their predecessors enjoyed. That’s possible thanks to the BSA’s new Historical Merit Badge Program, a set of four discontinued merit badges that today’s Scouts can earn.
2010 Historical Merit Badges
2010 Historic merit badge program resources
|Merit Badge||MeritBadge.Org||USScouts.Org||Scouting.Org (BSA)|
|Carpentry||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
|Pathfinding||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
|Signaling||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
|Tracking||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
The basics of the 2010 Historic Merit Badge Program include:
- "The effective date for earning these new merit badges is April 1, 2010, and requirements must be completed no later than Dec. 31, 2010." — 2010 Historical MB Program
- "The contemporary merit badges closely resemble the original designs of their counterparts with the exception of the border, which is gold." — 2010 Historical MB Program
- The BSA Supply Division will not print (new) or re-print (old) pamphlets for these merit badges – official BSA materials for these merit badges will be available only in electronic format at Scouting.Org. (We have provided you those links, above).
Original goals of the program
- For a majority of registered eligible members to earn one or more of the badges during the Centennial year.
- To encourage each unit, district, and council to identify qualified counselors for the badges.
- Allow badges to be earned by individual Scouts, but encourage districts and councils to offer opportunities to work on at least some of these merit badges at summer camp or special Anniversary celebration.
- Historical merit badges help Boy Scouts celebrate Scouting’s past from Scouting Magazine
- Historic Merit Badge Program on Hold from ScoutingNews.org
- Historical merit badges help Boy Scouts celebrate Scouting’s past from US Scouting Service Project News Blog