(Difference between revisions)
Revision as of 20:01, December 1, 2010
"The 50-Miler Award is presented to each qualifying individual for satisfactory participation in an approved trip. In order to qualify for the award the group of which the individual is a member must fulfill all of the following requirements."
| 50 Miler Award
50 Miler Award patch (newer design).
|Level:||Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts,|
Venturers, and Scouters
Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, Venturers, and leaders are eligible to earn this award.
It is presented as a cloth (No. 00188) or leather (No. 00244) Boy Scout and Scouter, equipment decoration. . The award is not worn on the uniform. It may be worn on a jacket or patch vest or placed on blankets, backpacks, or other personal equipment.
50 Miler Award requirements
In order to qualify for the award the group of which the individual is a member must fulfill all of the following requirements.
- Make complete and satisfactory plans for the trip, including the possibilities of advancement.
- Cover the trail or canoe or boat route of not less than 50 consecutive miles; take a minimum of 5 consecutive days to complete the trip without the aid of motors. (In some areas pack animals may be used.)
- During the time on the trail or waterway, complete a minimum of 10 hours each of group work on projects to improve the trail, springs, campsite, portage or area. If after checking with recognized authorities, it is not possible to complete 10 hours each of group work on the trail, a similar project may be done in the unit's home area ( There should be no unauthorized cutting of brush or timber.)
- Unit or tour leader must then file a 50-Miler Award application with the local council service center. The application gives additional details about planning the trip.
Provisional participant eligibility on a trek or cruise
Provisional groups and individuals are participants that do not belong to the same charted unit.
The 50 Miler Award is presented to individuals completing the requirements of a trip:
- Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, or Venturer units, including provisional individuals.
- Provisional groups (participants not from a single unit); however, chartered unit participation is most desirable.
- Sea Scouts are only eligible when participating as part of their own chartered ship. Sea Scouts participating as members of a provisional ship are not eligible for this award.
|| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Boy Scout Requirements, 2015 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #620714)
The text of these requirements may be locked. In that case, they can only be edited by an administrator.
Please note any errors found in the above requirements on this article's Talk Page.
50 Miler Award patch (old design).
Scouts who have completed a trek at Philmont Scout Ranch
meet the distance requirement for this badge. In addition, all Scouts who participate in a trek are required to assist with trail maintenance for 3 hours, so only 7 hours of community service are necessary after the trek to earn this award.