|Automotive Maintenance and other award requirements were revised on January 1, 2009.|
|Automotive Maintenance merit badge|
|Created:|| as Auto Mechanics
in 1992; 2009
|BSA Advancement ID:||127|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2012|
|“||Modern automobiles are important to many aspects of American life. Those who service automobiles must understand each principle, and how these principles interact to provide smooth, efficient performance. Owners of cars also benefit by understanding how their vehicles operate. This enables them to understand why certain periodic maintenance is required to keep their vehicles in tip-top shape.||”|
Automotive Maintenance requirements
NOTE: You will need access to a car or truck and its owner's manual to meet some of the requirements for this merit badge.
| A FREE workbook for Automotive Maintenance is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Per the BSA: "You should read the merit badge pamphlet on the subject." Pamphlets (books) are at local Scout Shops and online at ScoutStuff.org.
- "Get a signed Merit Badge application from your Scoutmaster." An online, printable Word doc file version is available.
- If you start before January 1, 2009, you can choose to work on Auto Mechanics, Automotive Maintenance, or do both. Here is the worksheet for Auto Mechanics.
- Read and follow the owners manual.
1. Tools Necessary for Auto Repair – Safety
2.b.1. Video: How to Check Brake Fluid Levels
2.b.2. Video: Checking Car Motor Oil Level
2.b.3. Video: How to Check Engine Coolant Levels
2.b.4. Video: How to Check Power Steering Fluid Levels
2.b.5. Video: How to Check Windshield Washer Fluid Levels
2.b.6. Video: How to Check Transmission Fluid
2.b.7. Video: How to Check a Car Battery for Corrosion
2.c. Video: How to Replace Automotive Fuses
2.d. Video: Checking Car Drive Belts
2.e. Video: Check and Replace Lights
2.f. Video: How to Change a Car Air Filter
3. Dashboard Gauges
4.a. Video: How to Interpret Car Tire Ratings
4.b. Tire Pressure Tread Wear - Video: Checking Car Tire Pressure - Video: How to Put Air in a Tire
4.c.Video: How to Diagnose an Alignment Problem.
5. How Car Engines Work - Engine Diagram
6. How Car Cooling Systems Work - Cooling System Diagram
7. Fuel System Diagram
8. See the Automotive Maintenance Workbook for graph paper to make your diagrams.
- Video: How Automobile Ignition Systems Work - Video: How to Change Spark Plugs - Video: How to Jump Start a Car
9. See the Automotive Maintenance Workbook for graph paper to make your diagrams.
Video: How Manual Transmissions Work - Drive Train Diagram
10. Video: How Engine Brakes Work - Video: How to Inspect Car Brakes
ABS Brakes Diagram - Conventional Brakes Diagram - Difference between ABS and Conventional Brakes
11.a. See the Automotive Maintenance Workbook for the Operation Maintenance chart you need to calculate the cost of ownership of vehicles.
- Automotive Maintenance overlaps several Traffic Safety requirements.
- The Webelos Handyman Activity Badge also includes Automotive Maintenance requirements.
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: American Labor - Automotive Maintenance - Drafting - Farm Mechanics - Graphic Arts - Home Repairs - Painting - Plumbing - Surveying - Truck Transportation - Woodwork
- Webelos Activity Badges: Craftsman - Handyman
General Merit Badge information
- An Introduction to Merit Badges – how to get started, who chooses the counselor, etc.
- Merit Badge Worksheets & Requirements – with the revision dates, diagrams, charts, checklists, logs, and links you need.
- Merit Badge Application – offers online resources to let you print "Blue Cards," etc.
- Merit Badge FAQ – answers dozens of questions like: Who can be a counselor? Can requirements be added or removed?
- Merit Badges Requiring Prior Approval – Certain requirements need prior approval. Most do not. Here is the list.
- Also see: List of how many boys have earned each Merit Badge – Merit Badge policies – Merit badges required for the Eagle Scout rank – Merit Badge Days
- Additionally: List of Merit Badges by Field of Study – Merit Badge Pamphlets & Libraries
- Merit Badge Counselors must complete Youth Protection Training, file an Adult Application (and Merit Badge Counselor Information Form); and be approved by the local council. (See the Guide for Merit Badge Counselors for additional details.)
- Bob Hewitt's (Misterfixit's) Autorepair Page
- Animated Engines
- WWW Virtual Library: Autos
- Other Online Videos: Car Inspection Videos, Car Maintenance