video links, Leave No Trace, Outdoor Code, Wilderness Use, and references to Merit Badges and Boy Scout Awards.
Backpacking is a Rare Merit Badge with only 4,974 earned in 2007! -
| This article is about the Boy Scout Backpacking Merit Badge.|
Venturers may complete the Backpacking elective for the Ranger Award
|The Backpacking requirements were revised effective January 1, 2008.|
|Backpacking requires prior counselor approval for requirement(s) #11b.|
|Backpacking merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||026|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2008|
| A FREE workbook for Backpacking is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Per the BSA: "You should read the merit badge pamphlet on the subject." Pamphlets (books) are at local Scout Shops and online at ScoutStuff.org.
- "Get a signed Merit Badge application from your Scoutmaster." An online, printable Word doc file version is available.
- The Backpacking Merit Badge requirements were updated in 2008.
1: First Aid
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See First Aid Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: First Aid Merit Badge Pamphlet - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Guide to Safe Scouting - Physcial
2-5 Camping Basics
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See Outdoor Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: Camping Merit Badge Pamphlet - Hiking Skills - Hydration - Outdoor Gear - Tents - Water Purification - Weather Skills
- PCTHiker.com: Scott's Pepsi-G Stove — Wow! Information on building your own hi-efficiency stove out of pepsi cans.
- Outdoor Skills Awards
- Boy Scout ranks: Tenderfoot - Second Class - First Class
- Boy Scout awards: Firem'n Chit - Totin' Chip - Paul Bunyan Woodsman
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Astronomy - Backpacking - Camping - Canoeing - Climbing - Cooking - Cycling - Fire Safety - Hiking - Orienteering - Pioneering - Rowing - Weather - Water Sports - Whitewater - Wilderness Survival
- Venturing: Outdoor Bronze Award; Ranger Award electives: Backpacking
- Webelos Activity Badges: Forester - Naturalist - Outdoorsman
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Astronomy - Map and Compass - Weather
Merit Badge information
- An Introduction to Merit Badges – how to get started, who chooses the counselor, etc.
- Merit Badge Worksheets & Requirements – with the revision dates, diagrams, charts, checklists, logs, and links you need.
- Merit Badge Application – offers online resources to let you print "Blue Cards," etc.
- Merit Badge FAQ – answers dozens of questions like: Who can be a counselor? Can requirements be added or removed?
- Merit Badges Requiring Prior Approval – Certain requirements need prior approval. Most do not. Here is the list.
- Also see: Most Popular Merit Badges – Merit Badge Policies – Eagle-Required Merit Badges – Merit Badge Days
- Additionally: List of Merit Badges by Field of Study – Merit Badge Pamphlets & Libraries
- Merit Badge Counselors must complete Youth Protection Training, file an Adult Application (and Merit Badge Counselor Information Form); and be approved by the local council. (See the Guide for Merit Badge Counselors for additional details.)