video links, Leave No Trace, Outdoor Code, Wilderness Use, and references to Merit Badges and Boy Scout Awards.
Backpacking is a rare Merit Badge! -
| This article is about the Boy Scout Backpacking Merit Badge.|
Venturers may complete the Backpacking elective for the Ranger Award
|The Backpacking requirements were revised effective January 1, 2008.|
|Backpacking requires prior counselor approval for requirement(s) #11b.|
|Backpacking merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||026|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2008|
| A FREE workbook for Backpacking is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Per the BSA: "You should read the merit badge pamphlet on the subject." Pamphlets (books) are at local Scout Shops and online at ScoutStuff.org.
- "Get a signed Merit Badge application from your Scoutmaster." An online, printable Word doc file version is available.
- The Backpacking Merit Badge requirements were updated in 2008.
- The BSA Backpacking Troop Program Feature offers meeting and activity plans to include Backpacking as one of your monthly themes.
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See First Aid Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: First Aid Merit Badge Pamphlet - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Guide to Safe Scouting - Physcial
2a. Here are the Outdoor Checklists including the 10 Essentials.
2b. Reducing Weight: Backpacks - Backpacking Stoves - Backpacking Food - Backpacking Gear - Water Purification - Clothing - Sleeping Bags - Pads - Tents and other Outdoor_Gear
3. Outdoor Safety
4a. Outdoor_Skills#Outdoor_Leave_No_Trace b. Hygiene - Food Handling have a number of resources and videos.
c. Campsite resources and videos.
5a. Water Purification
6a. Topographic Maps
6b. Map And Compass - GPS - Topographic Map
c. Lost includes many resources and videos including how to stay found.
7. Cold Weather - Warm Weather - Wet Weather
8. Backpacking Stoves resources and videos.
8c. Outdoor Cooking
8d. Cooking Gear - Food Storage
9a. The Backpacking planning form is in the Backpacking Worksheet.
9b. Packing a Backpack resources and videos for one night to a week+.
9c. Shoulder a Backpack including all major adjustment - resources and videos.
9d. See the Outdoor Checklists and Shoulder a Backpack for adjustments.
10. Leave No Trace - Outdoor Code
- The forms are in the Backpacking Worksheet.
- Outdoor Skills Awards
- Boy Scout ranks: Tenderfoot - Second Class - First Class
- Boy Scout awards: Firem'n Chit - Totin' Chip - Paul Bunyan Woodsman
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Astronomy - Backpacking - Camping - Canoeing - Climbing - Cooking - Cycling - Fire Safety - Hiking - Orienteering - Pioneering - Rowing - Weather - Water Sports - Whitewater - Wilderness Survival
- Venturing: Outdoor Bronze Award; Ranger Award electives: Backpacking
- Webelos Activity Badges: Forester - Naturalist - Outdoorsman
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Astronomy - Map and Compass - Weather
General Merit Badge information
- An Introduction to Merit Badges – how to get started, who chooses the counselor, etc.
- Merit Badge Worksheets & Requirements – with the revision dates, diagrams, charts, checklists, logs, and links you need.
- Merit Badge Application – offers online resources to let you print "Blue Cards," etc.
- Merit Badge FAQ – answers dozens of questions like: Who can be a counselor? Can requirements be added or removed?
- Merit Badges Requiring Prior Approval – Certain requirements need prior approval. Most do not. Here is the list.
- Also see: List of how many boys have earned each Merit Badge – Merit Badge policies – Merit badges required for the Eagle Scout rank – Merit Badge Days
- Additionally: List of Merit Badges by Field of Study – Merit Badge Pamphlets & Libraries
- Merit Badge Counselors must complete Youth Protection Training, file an Adult Application (and Merit Badge Counselor Information Form); and be approved by the local council. (See the Guide for Merit Badge Counselors for additional details.)