|Bugling merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||032|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2011|
The Bugling merit badge was one of the original 57 merit badges issued by the Boy Scouts of America in 1911.
Bugling merit badge requirements
| A FREE workbook for Bugling is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Per the BSA: "You should read the merit badge pamphlet on the subject." Pamphlets (books) are at local Scout Shops and online at ScoutStuff.org.
- "Get a signed Merit Badge application from your Scoutmaster." An online, printable Word doc file version is available.
- Bugling is an extremely rare merit badge with only 684 earned in 2007!
| NOTICE: On June 2, 2010, Scouting Magazine's 'Cracker Barrel' (online blog) reported that the Bugling merit badge would be officially retired as of December 31, 2010; and, that the Music merit badge requirements would be modified (effective January 1, 2011) to include Bugling skills. (We further stated here, "Those wishing to earn Bugling need to obtain a Blue Card and begin working on it prior to December 31, 2010. In doing so, you may keep working on it –even after it has been retired– until you: A) complete the badge, or B) turn 18, whichever comes first. (You cannot start this badge after it has been retired.")|
UPDATE: On August 4, 2010, Scouting Magazine's 'Cracker Barrel' (online blog) then reported that the National council's previous decision to retire Bugling has been rescinded. (As a result, though not specified, we are assuming that the Music merit badge requirements will also not change.) Editor's note: Music & Bugling will continue to share the same merit badge pamphlet.
|Req. 3: The music sheets for the required Bugle Calls shown in the merit badge pamphlet are not very legible. For a superior-quality, complete music sheet with all 15 calls, click here: Bugle Calls. (This PDF is only four pages long and it's printable, too.)|
1. History of the bugle - another source - another site
2a. Video Lesson: How to Play the Trumpet - Video Lesson: Trumpet Scales - Video Lesson: How to Play the Coronet How the bugle makes sound - more - How the bugle is related to other brass wind instruments
2b. Compose a bugle call
3. Bugle Calls sheet music - Bugle Calls Audio files - Bugle Calls Audio files - US Marine Corp Audio files - US Army Audio files - Download a free printable booklet with bugle calls here: Media:buglecalls.doc
4. When each call is used
5. Video Lesson: How to Clean a Brass Instrument - How to care for, clean, and maintain a bugle
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Architecture - Art - Basketry - Bugling - Cinematography - Cooking - Graphic Arts - Indian Lore - Leatherwork - Metalwork - Model Design and Building - Music - Photography - Pottery - Sculpture - Theater- Wood Carving - Woodwork
- Venturing: Arts and Hobbies Bronze Award - Outdoor Living History (Ranger Award elective)
- Webelos Activity Badges: Artist - Craftsman - Showman
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Art - Music
General Merit Badge information
- An Introduction to Merit Badges – how to get started, who chooses the counselor, etc.
- Merit Badge Worksheets & Requirements – with the revision dates, diagrams, charts, checklists, logs, and links you need.
- Merit Badge Application – offers online resources to let you print "Blue Cards," etc.
- Merit Badge FAQ – answers dozens of questions like: Who can be a counselor? Can requirements be added or removed?
- Merit Badges Requiring Prior Approval – Certain requirements need prior approval. Most do not. Here is the list.
- Also see: List of how many boys have earned each Merit Badge – Merit Badge policies – Merit badges required for the Eagle Scout rank – Merit Badge Days
- Additionally: List of Merit Badges by Field of Study – Merit Badge Pamphlets & Libraries
- Merit Badge Counselors must complete Youth Protection Training, file an Adult Application (and Merit Badge Counselor Information Form); and be approved by the local council. (See the Guide for Merit Badge Counselors for additional details.)
- Bugler - Troop Position