Citizenship in the Community
| This is the Citizenship in the Community merit badge for Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturers.|
Webelos Scouts can earn the Citizen activity badge.
Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts can earn the Cub Scout Citizenship belt loop and pin.
|Citizenship in the Community merit badge is required for the Eagle Scout rank.|
|Citizenship in the Community requires prior counselor approval for requirement(s) #4b, 5, 7c.|
|Citizenship in the Community merit badge|
|Replaced:||parts of Citizenship|
|BSA Advancement ID:||002|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2005|
|“||A nation is a patchwork of communities that differ from each other and may be governed differently. But regardless of how local communities differ, they all have one point in common: In the United States, local government means self-government. Good citizens help to make decisions about their community through their elected local officials.||”|
Citizenship in the Community merit badge requirements
- The BSA Citizenship Troop Program Feature offers meeting and activity plans to include Citizenship in the Community as one of your monthly themes.
- Citizenship in the Community is a popular merit badge.
1. Citizenship - Rights - Duties - Jury Duty - Obligations (Responsibilities)
2a. Google Maps - Make and save a map of your community - Sample Google Map Made By A Scout
3a. Find Information about your county's government
4. Major daily US newspapers
4a. Branches of Government
5. Movies With A Meaning
6. Local Government Services
7a. Charitable Organizations - include "nonprofit groups that are religious, charitable, educational, scientific, or literary in purpose, or that work to prevent cruelty to children or animals."
- Service must be to an organization "outside of Scouting" that "brings people in your community together to work for the good of your community."
- Charitable Organizations "outside of Scouting" might include: Churches, religious organizations, federal, state, and local governments, Salvation Army, Red Cross, CARE, Goodwill Industries, United Way, Boys and Girls Clubs of America, war veteran’s groups, fraternal lodges, and nonprofit schools, hospitals, museums, etc.
- IRS online search for charities by name or city
- GuideStar Directory of Non-profit Organizations - find charitable organizations in your area.
- BBB Wise Giving Alliance - list of charities
8. Presentation resources:
- Cub Scout: Communicating Belt Loop & Pin - Webelos: Communicator - Merit Badges: Public Speaking - Communication
- Lesson Videos: ExpertVillage: Giving a Speech - Public Speaking Tips - Public Speaking - Eye Contact - Hand Gestures - Props
The Citizenship in the Community #8 public presentation...of your community
could be given as a Communications #3 five-minute speech
using the techniques from Photography #4b to produce a picture story
and Art #1 to tell a story with...pictures
which could be developed into the Computers #6e short presentation.
|Personal development-related awards
|General Merit Badge information
- Living in an American Community
- US Community Page Index - more about your city and lots of links, too
Movies With a Meaning
Note: Only watch a movie..."With the approval of your counselor and a parent..."' Please do not add links for anything above a mild PG-13. Please note the ratings and reasons for the ratings for each film.
- 12 Angry Men One man, Henry Fonda, sways a jury and saves an innocent man. NR but would be G today.
- Amazing Grace Chronicles the struggle of William Wilberforce to stop the British slave trade in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. PG for disturbing images of slavery.
- A Man For All Seasons The story of Sir Thomas More who challenged King Henry VIII'sdivorce and remarriage. Rated G.
- America's Godly Heritage Chronicles the faith of the nation's forefathers. Not rated.
- Angels in the Outfield A young boy asks for a miracle to bring his family back together and to have his favorite baseball team win the season. PG.
- Balto Animated story of a dog that leads a sledding team across Alaska in order to get medicine for a sick girl. PG [1:14]
- The Blindside The true story of Michael Oher, a homeless boy who became a first round Baltimore Raven draft pick with the help of a caring woman and her family. PG-13.
- Cars A hot-shot race-car named Lightning McQueen gets waylaid in Radiator Springs, where he finds the true meaning of friendship and family. G
- Fly Away Home An adventure to save orphaned geese. PG.
- Follow Me Boys The story of how one guy starts a Boy Scout troop to help the town. NR.
- Forrest Gump One slow-witted but good-hearted man is at the center of key events of the 20th century. "Stupid is as stupid does." PG-13 for brief sexual content and war scenes.
- Gettysburg Great historical account of Colonel Joshua Chmberlain who held Little Round Top though greatly outnumbered. Out of ammunition, Chamberlain orders a charge instead of retreating. PG for war scenes.
- Gods and Generals Stonewall Jackson and the Battle of Manassas. PG-13 for war scenes.
- The Great Escape WWII POW escape. NR, but some violence.
- Guns of Navarone WWII Allied soldiers attempt to destroy the German big guns. NR. Some violence.
- High Noon A marshall faces a man just released from prison where he was put by the marshall. His own town refuses to help & the odds are high he will not live. NR. Gunfight at the end.
- Hoot Saving a population of endangered owls. PG for mild obscenities.
- Invincible The true story of Vince Papale, a 30-year-old bartender from South Philadelphia who overcame long odds to play for the Philadelphia Eagles. PG.
- It's A Wonderful Life The message in this film is one of courage and sacrifice for the greater good as George Bailey, a man with big ideas about seeing the world, continually forsakes his own desires to do what is right for the town. The second message is that each life important. No matter how insignificant we feel we are, we are all inextricably linked to each other and play an important part in the fabric of one another's lives.
- Luther All about Luther, the father of the Reformation. Rated PG-13 for violence.
- The Man Who Planted Trees A lone shepherd changes the character of an entire valley.
- Mighty Ducks Emilio Estevez stars as a lawyer doing community
service who becomes coach to a pee wee hockey team. PG.
- Mr. Holland's Opus A frustrated composer (Richard Dreyfuss) finds fulfillment as a high school music teacher. PG.
- Mr. Smith Goes to Washington One of Jimmy Stewart's signature roles as an idealistic senator caught in the corruption of the political machine. NR.
- October Sky The true story of Homer Hickam, a coal miner's son who was inspired by the first Sputnik launch to take up rocketry. PG.
- One Night with the King The story of Esther. Rated PG for mild violence, suggestion of sensuality.
- Pay It Forward Like some other kids, 12-year-old Trevor McKinney believed in the goodness of human nature. Like many other kids, he was determined to change the world for the better. Unlike most other kids, he succeeded. Rated PG-13 for mature thematic elements.
- Phenomenon - John Travolta is hit by a light and becomes very smart and addicted to learning. PG. 123 minutes.
- The Prince of Egypt Animated story of Moses. Rated PG for violence.
- Remember the Titans The true story of a newly appointed African-American coach and his high school team on their first season as a racially integrated unit. PG.
- Rock and a Heart Place Volunteering never sounded so good.
- Rookie of the Year A twelve year old boy lives every boy's fantasy when he gets to pitch for the Chicago Cubs. PG.
- Rudy True story of a boy who struggles with life in order to realize his dream: to play football for Notre Dame. PG
- Spartacus The slave, Spartacus, leads a revolt against a corrupt Rome. NR.
- The Ten Commandments The story of Moses. NR.
- The Three Musketeers Comedic interpretation of the classic novel.
- We Are Marshall When a plane crash claims the lives of members of the Marshall University football team and some of its fans, the team's new coach and his few surviving players try to keep the football program alive. PG.