| This is the Boy Scout Computers Merit Badge|
Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts can earn the Cub Scout Computers Belt Loop & Pin
|Computers requires prior counselor approval for requirement(s) #6e, 7c, 7d.|
|Computers merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||036|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2008|
| A FREE workbook for Computers is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Per the BSA: "You should read the merit badge pamphlet on the subject." Pamphlets (books) are at local Scout Shops and online at ScoutStuff.org.
- "Get a signed Merit Badge application from your Scoutmaster." An online, printable Word doc file version is available.
- Free/Open Source Software
Many of the requirements can be satisfied using Free (often called "Freeware") and Open Source software programs. These programs are free to download and use under Free/Open Source software licenses. Such licenses remove many of the restrictions on sharing software imposed by proprietary software licenses.
1: How to Keep Children Safe Online From McAfee Protection
2: A Timeline of the History of the Computer - A History of the IEEE Computer Society - Computer History - Computer History Museum - The Virtual Museum of Computing - Historic Computer Images - CHAC History Pages - The History of Computers
4a: Computer hardware
4b: File Formats - Wotsit.org
5b: A Complete List of Programming Languages
5e: How Internet Infrastructure Works
6: OpenOffice.org is an open source suite that includes word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database programs. It is also capable of opening and saving documents in Microsoft format allowing users to work with and save to Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint files.
- Google Docs contains basic spreadsheet, word processor and presentation software. Imports Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint formatted files. Requires only a web browser and a (free) Google account.
6a: See the sample duty roster table in the Camping Worksheet Req. 4b.
6b: See the sample food list & cost table in the Cooking Worksheet Req. 3c & 5b.
6e: Presentation is similar to: Art #1, Communications #3, Photography #4b.
6g" Irfanview is free (no cost) to download and use (though not Open Source).
- Paint.net is a free, open source image editing and photo manipulation software designed to be used on Windows PCs. It supports layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.
- Picasa is free photo organization and editing tool from Google that can help you make web pages, slide shows and share your photos. A similar application for the Macintosh is iPhoto.
- For those looking for more advanced photo editing software (or those using Linux) there's The G.I.M.P.. It is a good choice for those who can't use or afford Adobe Photoshop.
- QCad A free trial copy of QCad is available for downloading. The trial copy does have certain limitations (such as terminating after 10 minutes of use) but should suffice for this requirement and give a scout the chance to try a CAD program.
- Notepad++ - A more stable free HTML editor also with WYSIWYG and a spacebar HTML tag entry
Science Awards (Computer Science is an Applied Science) Science-related awards
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Animal Science - Archaeology - Astronomy - Architecture - Chemistry - Composite Materials - Computers - Electricity - Electronics - Energy - Environmental Science - Geology - Nuclear Science - Radio - Space Exploration - Weather
- Webelos Activity Badge: Engineer - Geologist - Scientist
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Astronomy - Geography - Geology - Science - Weather
General Merit Badge information
- An Introduction to Merit Badges – how to get started, who chooses the counselor, etc.
- Merit Badge Worksheets & Requirements – with the revision dates, diagrams, charts, checklists, logs, and links you need.
- Merit Badge Application – offers online resources to let you print "Blue Cards," etc.
- Merit Badge FAQ – answers dozens of questions like: Who can be a counselor? Can requirements be added or removed?
- Merit Badges Requiring Prior Approval – Certain requirements need prior approval. Most do not. Here is the list.
- Also see: List of how many boys have earned each Merit Badge – Merit Badge policies – Merit badges required for the Eagle Scout rank – Merit Badge Days
- Additionally: List of Merit Badges by Field of Study – Merit Badge Pamphlets & Libraries
- Merit Badge Counselors must complete Youth Protection Training, file an Adult Application (and Merit Badge Counselor Information Form); and be approved by the local council. (See the Guide for Merit Badge Counselors for additional details.)
- Computer Meritbadge Resource for Scouts and Meritbadge Councilor
- The Computer Merit Badge
- Scouting Website & Software Information
- Welcome to Triumph of the Nerds! - accidental dynasties in computing history
- Calculating Machines
- ACM's Special Interest Group on Computer-Human Interaction
- WWW Virtual Library: Logic Programming
- WWW Virtual Library: Artificial Intelligence
- WWW Virtual Library: Web Design