Conservation Good Turn Award
|Conservation Good Turn Award|
The patch can be worn as a temporary insignia or on the scout's patch vest.
The Conservation Good Turn Award is an opportunity for Scout units to join with conservation or environmental organizations (federal, state, local, or private) to carry out a conservation Good Turn in their home communities. Working together in the local community, the unit and the agency plan the details and establish the date, time and location for carrying out the project.
Conservation projects should involve the entire unit - scouts, leaders, and family members. Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts participating in the Conservation Good Turn can also meet some advancement requirements.
Agencies to contact for project ideas:
- Natural Resource and Conservations Service (NRCS)
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Forest Service
- Bureau of Land Management
- National Park Service
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- local City Works department
- Audubon Society
- Trout Unlimited
Some suggested projects could be:
- Plant grasses, trees, shrubs, and ground cover to stop soil erosion.
- As a den or pack, adopt a park and keep it clean.
- Organize or participate in a recycling program.
- Participate in a beach or waterfront cleanup. Record the items collected and determine the possible harmful effects to wildlife.
- Establish a nature trail, plant vegetation, or carry out other needed projects as requested by the camp ranger at a local BSA camp property.
- General Resources:
- Conservation Resources: Soil and Water Conservation Merit Badge resources - Conservation and Resource Center - Leave No Trace Center - Wildlife Conservation Society
- Bird Resources: Bird Study Merit Badge resources
- Fish Resources: Fishing Merit Badge Requirement resources - American Fisheries Society
- Insect Resources: Insect Study Merit Badge resources
- Mammal Resources: Mammal Study Merit Badge resources
- Reptile & Amphibian Resources: Reptile and Amphibian Study Merit Badge resources - Frog Songs