The Venturing Crew Advisor is the adult responsible for working directly with the Venturers to help them create the program for the crew. The Advisor trains leaders to run the crew by providing direction, coaching, and support.
The Advisor is the key adult leader and is responsible for training crew officers, helping them plan a program of activities, coaching them in their leadership responsibilities, and obtaining adult help and resources as needed through the crew committee. The Advisor is supported by two or more Associate Advisors who serve as backup leaders and provide assistance for the program administration of the crew.
The ultimate responsibility for the crew rests with the Advisor. All information from the chartered organization goes through the Advisor. He or she participates in all crew meetings and activities, and attends all crew officer and crew committee meetings, and counducts the annual crew officer's seminar. The Advisor sets the tone for the crew, models leadership and helps officers become leaders of their own crew.
- Fosters an environment with the Venturing crew that has a true sense of community and that encourages everyone's growth and responsibility to one another.
- Develops crew officers to lead - to plan, make decisions, and carry out a program of activities over an extended period.
- Encourages participation and support for the Venturing crew from the chartered organization, Associate Crew Advisors, Crew Committee, parents, and other adults in the community.
- Upholds the standards and policies of the chartered organization and the Boy Scouts of America.
- Provides a framework for protecting the members of a crew from abuse.
- Ensures that activities are conducted within BSA safety guidelines and requirements. Advisors should be trained by the BSA.
- Seeks to cultivate within the members of a crew a capacity to enjoy life - to have fun through the Venturing experience.
- Can be male or female, but must be at least 21 years of age.
- Is appointed by the head of the chartered organization.
The Crew Advisor is the key youth-facing adult leader in the unit. Other key unit adult leaders are:
- Scoutmaster - Boy Scouting
- Team Coach - Varsity Scouting
- Crew Advisor - Venturing
- Skipper - Sea Scouting
- Post Advisor - Exploring