| This is the Boy Scout Crime Prevention Merit Badge.|
Scouts at all levels can earn the Crime Prevention Award.
|Crime Prevention requires prior counselor approval for requirement(s) #7b.|
|Crime Prevention merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||131|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2008|
|“||Preventing crime, which can be as simple as reducing the opportuntities for crime to occur, is far less costly than apprehending and bringing legal action against those who break the law and it helps save people from the anguish of being victims.||”|
Crime Prevention requirements
| A FREE workbook for Crime Prevention is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Per the BSA: "You should read the merit badge pamphlet on the subject." Pamphlets (books) are at local Scout Shops and online at ScoutStuff.org.
- "Get a signed Merit Badge application from your Scoutmaster." An online, printable Word doc file version is available.
1. Law Definition, Overview, History, etc. - Definiton of "Law" - Crime - Crime Prevention
3. The National Crime Prevention Council - Nat. Sheriffs' Association - Nat. McGruff House Network - Youth Crime Watch - Nat. School Safety Center
3b. Cops Office: Gangs From the Department of Justice
3c. Call 911 only when you need to - What to do if you see a crime
4. The Security Checklist you need is included in the Crime Prevention Worksheet.
5. & 6. Crime prevention: McGruff - Home - School - School Tips - Bullies - Community - Traveling - Traveling Abroad
6c. Presentation Links:
- Cub Scout: Communicating Belt Loop & Pin - Webelos: Communicator - Merit Badges: Public Speaking - Communications
- Lesson Videos: ExpertVillage: Giving a Speech - Public Speaking Tips - Public Speaking - Eye Contact - Hand Gestures - Props
7a.Neighborhood Watch-Find your Neighborhood Watch-Crime Stoppers
8a. Order "Choose to Refuse" - Online Version - USScouts: Choose to Refuse - Drugs: A Deadly Game - DARE
8b. US DOH: "Smoking May Contribute to Increased Use of Cocaine and Heroin"
- Gateway Drugs Lead to Cocaine Use
- Alcohol And Tobacco: Two Dangerous Gateway Drugs
- DARE: Gateway Drugs
8d. Sources on Drugs and Crime: US Dept of Justice - Whitehouse
8e. How to recognize child abuse - Another site-more
8f. The Three R's of Youth Protection
9. Sheriff - Wikipedia: Police
9d. Law Enforcement Careers - CopCareer.Com
Emergency Preparedness-related awards
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Crime Prevention - Emergency Preparedness - Fire Safety - First Aid - Lifesaving - Public Health - Safety- Traffic Safety
- Webelos Activity Badge: Readyman
- Others Links: First Aid Skills - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Safe Swim Defense - Safety Afloat - Guide to Safe Scouting: First Aid
- Venturing: Ranger Award-Emergency Preparedness Requirement
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: American Business - Architecture - Aviation - Chemistry - Crime Prevention - Dentistry - Engineering - Entrepreneurship - Inventing - Journalism - Landscape Architecture - Law - Medicine - Personal Management - Pulp and Paper - Salesmanship - Surveying - Textile - Veterinary Medicine
- Webelos Activity Badges: Engineer - Scientist
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Mathematics - Science
Merit Badge information
- An Introduction to Merit Badges – how to get started, who chooses the counselor, etc.
- Merit Badge Worksheets & Requirements – with the revision dates, diagrams, charts, checklists, logs, and links you need.
- Merit Badge Application – offers online resources to let you print "Blue Cards," etc.
- Merit Badge FAQ – answers dozens of questions like: Who can be a counselor? Can requirements be added or removed?
- Merit Badges Requiring Prior Approval – Certain requirements need prior approval. Most do not. Here is the list.
- Also see: Most Popular Merit Badges – Merit Badge Policies – Eagle-Required Merit Badges – Merit Badge Days
- Additionally: List of Merit Badges by Field of Study – Merit Badge Pamphlets & Libraries
- Merit Badge Counselors must complete Youth Protection Training, file an Adult Application (and Merit Badge Counselor Information Form); and be approved by the local council. (See the Guide for Merit Badge Counselors for additional details.)
- Crime Prevention Division - Metro Nashville Police
- The BSA Crime Prevention Program
- National Crime Prevention Council On-Line Resource Center