Cub Scout Astronomy
Belt Loop and Pin
Astronomy Academics Belt Loop
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- Set up and demonstrate how to focus a simple telescope or binoculars.
- Draw a diagram of our solar system--identify the planets and other objects.
- Explain the following terms: planet, star, solar system, galaxy, the Milky Way, black hole, red giant, white dwarf, comet, meteor, moon, asteroid, and universe.
Academics Pin Requirements
Earn the Astronomy belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Draw a diagram of a telescope and explain how it works.
- Locate and identify five constellations. You may use a telescope.
- Using a telescope, find at least one planet and identify it.
- Find the North Star. Explain its importance.
- Interview an astronomer. Learn about careers that relate to Astronomy. What school subjects will help you get a job in astronomy?
- Visit an observatory or a planetarium. Give a report on what you learned to your den.
- Make a poster illustrating the different kinds of stars. Include a diagram showing the life cycle of a star.
- Learn about some of the early space missions. Tell your den or family about one of them.
- Find a current event about a recent happening related to space. Tell your den or family about this event.
- Make a chart to show the phases of the moon over a two-month period. Define a blue moon.
- Write a report on two famous astronomers.
- Locate three major observatories on a map. Explain why these locations are good for astronomy.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2016 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #621535)
- Earning the Cub Scout Astronomy Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout is requirement 8 of the Webelos Scholar Activity Badge.
- Details on earning a Cub Scout Sports or Academic pin or belt loop multiple times
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- 14 could be met by completing Astronomy Pin requirement #8 or #9
- Requirement 10f could be met by attending an observatory or planetarium program
- 6 Read a book (on astronauts or space missions, Astronomy Pin Requirements #8 and #11))
- 12 Be an artist (Astronomy Belt Loop Requirement #1, Astronomy Pin requirements #1, 7 & 10)
- 1 Space
- 9 Art
- Webelos Scout
- Webelos Scientist Activity Badge requirement 4 (earn the Astronomy Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)