Cub Scout Bicycling
Belt Loop and Pin
Bicycling Sports Belt Loop
| Cub Scout Bicycling is an option for the Webelos Sportsman Activity Badge|
and helps prepare Scouts for the Boy Scout Cycling Merit Badge.
The Cub Scout Bicycling belt loop and pin are a part of the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program. Tiger Cub, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos Scouts may earn this award in a Family, Den, Pack, school, or community setting. Tiger Cubs must be always accompanied by their Adult partner.
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain the rules of safe bicycling to your den leader or adult partner.
- Demonstrate how to wear the proper safety equipment for bicycling.
- Show how to ride a bike safely. Ride for at least half an hour with an adult partner, your family, or den.
Sports Pin Requirements
Earn the Bicycling belt loop, and complete requirement 1 below, and so four more of the following requirements:
- Make a chart to record at least 10 hours of bicycling. (Required)
- Participate in a pack, den, or community bike rodeo.
- Demonstrate how to repair a flat tire on a bicycle.
- Make a poster illustrating different types of early bikes and show it to your den.
- Give a demonstration to your den or pack on the proper use of safety equipment and gear.
- With the help of a parent or adult partner, register or reregister your bicycle.
- Go on a "bicycle hike" with your family or den. Obey traffic rules related to bicycling.
- Repair or restore a nonfunctioning bicycle to a safe condition. Include the installation of all proper safety devices.
- Visit a bicycle race or exhibition.
- Help set up a bike rodeo or bike competition for your pack.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2003 Edition (BSA Supply No. 34299)
Help with these requirements
| A FREE workbook for Cub Scout Bicycling is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- 2 & 10: Bike Rodeo Info
- 7: A "bicycle hike" is a hike on a bike, typically less than an hour for Cub Scouts.
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- Sportsman Activity Badge requirement 3. (earn the Cub Scout Bicycling Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)