Cub Scout Chess
with cross-references for related Cub Scout Tiger, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos requirements.
|The Cub Scout Chess Belt Loop is an option for the Webelos Scholar activity badge.|
Belt Loop and Pin
Chess Academics Belt Loop
- Earning the Cub Scout Chess Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout is requirement 8 of the Webelos Scholar Activity Badge.
Template:Cub Scout Academics and Sports Requirement resources
Belt Loop Requirements
1. Identify the chess pieces and set up a chess board for play. - Chess Pieces - Castling - Pawn capture En Passant
2. Demonstrate the moves of each chess piece.
3. Play a game of chess.
Academics Pin Requirements
1. Demonstrate basic opening principles - Chess opening
2. Visit a chess tournament. - Chess Tournament
3. Participate in a chess tournament. - National Scholastic Chess Foundation - Kid Chess
4. Solve a pre-specified chess problem. - Chess Problem
5. Play five games of chess.
6. Play chess games via computer or on the Internet. - Free Internet Chess Server - Chess Maniac
7. Read about a famous chess player. List of Chess Players - Garry Kasparov - Bobby Fischer - Jose Raul Capablanca - Aron Nimzowitsch
8. Describe U.S. Chess Federation ratings for chess players. - Chess rating Systems
9. Write chess notation. - Chess Notation - Algebraic Chess Notation
10. History of chess. - History of Chess
- Achievement 10g could be met by completing Cub Scout Chess Belt Loop requirement 3 or Cub Scout Chess Pin requirement 5
- Achievements 15b. and 15c. could be met by completing Cub Scout Chess Belt Loop requirement 3 or Cub Scout Chess Pin requirement 5
- Scholar Activity Badge requirement 8 (earn the Cub Scout Chess Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)
- Hobby Awards
|Cub Scout Leader portal|
|Webelos Den Leader portal|