Cub Scout Geography
Belt Loop and Pin
Geography Academics Belt Loop
|The Cub Scout Geography Belt Loop is an option for the Webelos Traveler activity badge.|
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- Draw a map of your neighborhood. Show natural and manmade features. Include a key or legend of map symbols.
- Learn about the physical geography of your community. Identify the major landforms within 100 miles. Discuss with an adult what you learned.
- Use a world globe or map to locate the continents, the oceans, the equator, and the northern and southern hemispheres. Learn how longitude and latitude lines are used to locate a site.
Academics Pin Requirements
Earn the Geography belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Make a three-dimensional model of an imaginary place. Include five different landforms, such as mountains, valleys, lakes, deltas, rivers, buttes, plateaus, basins, and plains.
- List 10 cities around the world. Calculate the time it is in each city when it is noon in your town.
- Find the company's location on the wrapper or label of 10 products used in your home, such as food, clothing, toys, and appliances. Use a world map or atlas to find each location.
- On a map, trace the routes of some famous explorers. Show the map to your den or family.
- On a United States or world map, mark where your family members and ancestors were born.
- Keep a map record of the travels of your favorite professional sports team for one month.
- Read a book (fiction or nonfiction) in which geography plays an important part.
- Take part in a geography bee or fair in your pack, school, or community.
- Choose a country in the world and make a travel poster for it.
- Play a geography-based board game or computer game. Tell an adult some facts you learned about a place that was part of the game.
- Draw or make a map of your state. Include rivers, mountain ranges, state parks, and cities. Include a key or legend of map symbols.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2016 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #621535)
Help with these requirements
| A FREE workbook for Cub Scout Geography is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Earning the Cub Scout Geography Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout is requirement 12 of the Webelos Traveler Activity Badge.
- Details on earning a Cub Scout Sports or Academic pin or belt loop multiple times
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- Tiger Cub Scout
- 2F "Look at a map of your community with your adult partner." Could be met while completing Cub Scout Geography Belt Loop requirement 2
- Bear Cub Scout
- Bear Electives
- Elective 23d. could be partially met while completing Cub Scout Geography Belt Loop requirement 1
- Webelos Scout
- Traveler Activity Badge requirement 12. (earn the Cub Scout Geography Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)
- Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program
- Cub Scout Map and Compass Belt Loop requirement 3 could be met while completing Cub Scout Geography Belt Loop requirement 1