Cub Scout Hiking
with cross-references for related Cub Scout Tiger, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos requirements.
Belt Loop and Pin
Hiking Sports Belt Loop
Take these outdoor essentials with you on your outdoor adventure. The times below may help you avoid emergencies and can make pleasant hike even better.
- rain gear
- full water bottle
- trail food
- fanny pack or backpack to carry your times
- first aid kit - one per group
- map and compass - one per group
- watch - one per group to pace your travels and return home when you are expected
Fun Hikes for Different Purposes
- City Hike. Identify different buildings an businesses and talk about their use. Notice the different detais of the building. Carfull follow saftey rules.
- Color Hike. Make a list of colors to find when you go hiking. then look for objects of the colors on your list and note what you saw.
- Historical Hike. Hike to a historical spot. Know the history before going on the hike.
- Nature Hike. While hiking, identify and discus what you see in nature. Demonstrat how you show respect for nature.
- Neighborhood Hike. Hike around your negihrohood and identify the homes, parks, schools, places of worship, and other areas of interest that are close to you home.
- Stop-look-and-listen hike. Hike for a specific length of time or for a certain number of steps. Then stop and write down all that you see and hear. Make several stops.
1. Hiking Safety Rules
- Always tell someone where you are going and when you will return.
- Never hike alone or at night; always use the buddy system.
- Dress properly for the weather and environment.
- Wear sun and insect protection.
- Take an extra pair of socks in case you need to change.
- Obey traffic signs and signals.
- Avoid hiking along roadways.
- Stay on the trail.
- Be alert to your surroundings.
- Don't litter as you hike.
- Be alert to dangerous animals, insects, and plants. Never touch a wild animal.
- Take 1 pint of water for each hour you will be hiking. Never drink untreated water.
|Cub Scout Leader portal|
|Webelos Den Leader portal|