Cub Scout Science
(→Related achievements, electives, or other awards)
Revision as of 09:13, March 19, 2008
Belt Loop and Pin
Science Academics Belt Loop
The Cub Scout Science belt loop and pin are a part of the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program. Tiger Cub, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos Scouts may earn this award in a Family, Den, Pack, school, or community setting. Tiger Cubs must be always accompanied by their Adult partner.
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- 1. Explain the scientific method to your adult partner.
- 2. Use the scientific method in a simple science project. Explain the results to an adult.
- 3. Visit a museum, a laboratory, an observatory, a zoo, an aquarium, or other facility that employs scientists. Talk to a scientist about his or her work.
Academics Pin Requirements
Earn the Science belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- 1. Make a simple electric motor that works.
- 2. Find a stream or other area that shows signs of erosion. Try to discover the cause of the erosion.
- 3. Plant seeds. Grow a flower, garden vegetable, or other plant.
- 4. Use these simple machines to accomplish tasks: lever, pulley, wheel-and-axle, wedge, inclined plane, and screw.
- 5. Learn about solids, liquids, and gases using just water. Freeze water until it turns into ice. Then, with an adult heat the ice until it turns back into a liquid and eventually boils and becomes a gas.
- 6. Build models of two atoms and two molecules, using plastic foam balls or other objects.
- 7. Make a collection of igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks and label them.
- 8. Learn about a creature that lives in the ocean. Share what you have learned with your den or family.
- 9. Label a drawing or diagram of the bones of the human skeleton.
- 10. Make a model or poster of the solar system. Label the planets and the sun.
- 11. Do a scientific experiment in front of an audience. Explain your results.
- 12. Read a book about a science subject that interests you.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2015 Edition (BSA Supply No. 33216 - SKU# 620714)
- Earning the Cub Scout Science Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout is requirement 4 of the Webelos Scientist Activity Badge.
- Details on earning a Cub Scout Sports or Academic pin or belt loop multiple times
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- Tiger Cub Scout
- Wolf Cub Scout
- Wolf Electives 6, 15
- Bear Cub Scout
- Webelos Scout
- Webelos Scientist Activity Badge requirement 4
- Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program