Cub Scout Science
Belt Loop and Pin
Science Academics Belt Loop
| Cub Scout Science is an option for the Webelos Scientist Activity Badge|
and helps prepare Scouts for the Boy Scout Engineer Merit Badge.
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain the scientific method to your adult partner.
- Use the scientific method in a simple science project. Explain the results to an adult.
- Visit a museum, a laboratory, an observatory, a zoo, an aquarium, or other facility that employs scientists. Talk to a scientist about his or her work.
Academics Pin Requirements
Earn the Science belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Make a simple electric motor that works.
- Find a stream or other area that shows signs of erosion. Try to discover the cause of the erosion.
- Plant seeds. Grow a flower, garden vegetable, or other plant.
- Use these simple machines to accomplish tasks: lever, pulley, wheel-and-axle, wedge, inclined plane, and screw.
- Learn about solids, liquids, and gases using just water. Freeze water until it turns into ice. Then, with an adult heat the ice until it turns back into a liquid and eventually boils and becomes a gas.
- Build models of two atoms and two molecules, using plastic foam balls or other objects.
- Make a collection of igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks and label them.
- Learn about a creature that lives in the ocean. Share what you have learned with your den or family.
- Label a drawing or diagram of the bones of the human skeleton.
- Make a model or poster of the solar system. Label the planets and the sun.
- Do a scientific experiment in front of an audience. Explain your results.
- Read a book about a science subject that interests you.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2015 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #620714)
Help with these requirements
| A FREE workbook for Cub Scout Science is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Earning the Cub Scout Science Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout is requirement 4 of the Webelos Scientist Activity Badge.
- Details on earning a Cub Scout Sports or Academic pin or belt loop multiple times
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- Wolf Cub Scout
- Wolf Electives
- Elective 6b. could be met by completing Cub Scout Science Pin requirement 12
- Elective 12f. could be met by completing Cub Scout Science Pin requirement 10
- Elective 15a, 15b, 15c, or 15d. could be met by completing Cub Scout Science Pin requirement 3
- Bear Cub Scout
- Bear Electives
- Elective 4d. could be met while completing Cub Scout Science Pin requirement 1
- Scientist Activity Badge requirement 4. (earn the Cub Scout Science Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)
- Cub Scout Astronomy Belt Loop requirement 2 is similar to Cub Scout Science Pin requirement 10
- Cub Scout Geology Belt Loop requirement 1 and Pin requirement 3 are similar to Cub Scout Science Pin requirement 7
- Cub Scout Wildlife Conservation Belt Loop requirement 3 could be combined with Cub Scout Science Pin requirement 8