Cub Scout Swimming
(Difference between revisions)
Revision as of 21:38, December 10, 2007
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- 1. Explain rules of Safe Swim Defense. Emphasize the buddy system.
- 2. Play a recreational game in the water with your den, pack, or family.
- 3. While holding a kick board, propel yourself 25 feet using a flutter kick across the shallow end of the swimming area.
Sports Pin Requirements
Earn the Swimming belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- 1. Practice the breathing motion of the crawl stroke while standing in shallow water. Take a breath, place your head in the water, exhale, and turn your head to the side to take a breath. Repeat.
- 2. Learn two of the following strokes: crawl, backstroke, elementary backstroke, sidestroke, or breaststroke.
- 3. Learn two of the following floating skills: jellyfish float, turtle float, canoe (prone) float.
- 4. Using a kickboard, demonstrate three kinds of kicks.
- 5. Pass the "beginner" or "swimmer" swim level test.
- 6. Visit with a lifeguard and talk about swimming safety in various situations (pool, lake, river, ocean). Learn about the training a lifeguard needs for his or her job.
- 7. Explain the four rescue techniques: Reach, Throw, Row, and Go (with support)
- 8. Take swimming lessons.
- 9. Attend a swim meet at a school or community pool.
- 10. Tread water for 30 seconds.
- 11. Learn about a U.S. swimmer who has earned a medal in the Olympics
- 12. Demonstrate the proper use of a mask and snorkel in a swimming area where your feet can touch the bottom.
Help with these requirements
Sports Pin Requirement 5: Classification of Swimming Ability