Cub Scout Weather
Belt Loop and Pin
Weather Academics Belt Loop
|The Cub Scout Weather Belt Loop is an option for the Webelos Scientist activity badge.|
|The Cub Scout Weather belt loop and pin help prepare Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts for the Boy Scout Weather merit badge.|
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- Make a poster that shows and explains the water cycle.
- Set up a simple weather station to record rainfall, temperature, air pressure, or evaporation for one week.
- Watch the weather forecast on a local television station.
Academics Pin Requirements
Earn the Weather belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Define the following terms: weather, humidity, precipitation, temperature, and wind.
- Explain how clouds are made. Describe the different kinds of clouds-stratus, cumulus, cumulonimbus, and cirrus-and what kind of weather can be associated with these cloud types.
- Describe the climate in your state. Compare its climate with that in another state.
- Describe a potentially dangerous weather condition in your community. Discuss safety precautions and procedures for dealing with this condition.
- Define what is meant by acid rain. Explain the greenhouse effect.
- Talk to a meteorologist about his or her job. Learn about careers in meteorology.
- Make a weather map of your state or country, using several weather symbols.
- Explain the differences between tornadoes and hurricanes.
- Make a simple weather vane. Make a list of other weather instruments and describe what they do.
- Explain how weather can affect agriculture and the growing of food.
- Make a report to your den or family on a book about weather.
- Explain how rainbows are formed and then draw and color a rainbow.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2015 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #620714)
Help with these requirements
| A FREE workbook for Cub Scout Weather is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Earning the Cub Scout Weather Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout is requirement 13 of the Webelos Scientist Activity Badge.
- Details on earning a Cub Scout Sports or Academic pin or belt loop multiple times
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- Wolf Cub Scout
- Wolf Electives
- Elective 12f. could be met while completing Cub Scout Weather Belt Loop requirement 1
- Bear Cub Scout
- Bear Electives
- Elective 2a, 2b, 2c, and 2d. could be used to meet Cub Scout Weather Belt Loop requirement 2
- Elective 2e. could be met while completing Cub Scout Weather Pin requirement 2
- Elective 2f. could be partially met while completing Cub Scout Weather Belt Loop requirement 3
- Scientist Activity Badge requirement 13. (earn the Cub Scout Weather Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)