| Den Chief
The Den Chief is a Boy Scout or a Varsity Scout or a Venturer who assists a Cub Scout Den Leader or Webelos Den Leader with a Cub Scout or a Webelos Den. He helps Cub Scouts advance through Cub Scout ranks and encourages Cub Scouts to join a Boy Scout troop upon graduation.
Request, selection and approval
The position of Den Chief serves at the request of the Cubmaster.
He is selected by the Senior Patrol Leader and Scoutmaster in a Boy Scout troop, or by the Varsity Team Coach in a Varsity team, or by the Crew Advisor in a Venturing crew.
He is approved by the Cubmaster and the Pack Committee for recommendation to the Den Leader.
- Knows the purposes of Cub Scouting.
- Helps Cub Scouts achieve the purposes of Cub Scouting.
- Serves as the activities assistant at den meetings.
- Sets a good example through attitude and uniforming.
- Is a friend to the boys in the den.
- Helps lead weekly den meetings.
- Helps the den in its part of the monthly pack meeting.
- Knows the importance of the monthly theme and pack meeting plans.
- Meets regularly with the den leader to review den and pack meeting plans. Meets as needed with adult members of the den, pack, and troop.
- Receives training from the den leader (and Cubmaster or Assistant Cubmaster) and attend Den Chief Training.
- Encourages Cub Scouts to become Webelos Scouts when they are eligible.
- Encourages Cub Scouts to join a Boy Scout troop upon graduation.
- Helps the Denner and assistant denner to be leaders.
- Enthusiastically and correctly wears the Scout uniform (all four parts).
- Lives by the Scout Oath and Law.
- Shows Scout spirit
- A Den Chief must be an older registered member of a Boy Scout troop, Varsity Scout team or Venturing crew.
- To serve as a Crew Den Chief, the Venturer must have achieved at least First Class rank as a Boy Scout or Varsity Scout.
- For a Crew Den Chief to apply this leadership as an Eagle position of responsibility, the Venturer must have earned Life Rank after January 1, 2007.
MeritBadge.Org is your online Scouting University with everything from Getting Started to Bridging:
- Nameplates - Official BSA Name plates for your uniforms.
See the Cub Scout Leader Resources for the Pack Organization Chart and much more.