|Dentistry merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2006|
Merit badge requirements
- 1. Using x-ray (radiographic) films and with your counselor's guidance, study the tooth structure and look for decay. Then do the following:
- b. Show on your drawing where the nerves and blood vessels enter the tooth.
- c. Show on your drawing where bacterial plaque is most likely to be found.
- 2. Do the following:
- c. Explain the first-aid procedure for saving a tooth that has been knocked out.
- 3. Arrange for a visit with a dentist. Before you go, ask whether your visit can include a dental examination and a plaque-control demonstration. Afterward, ask questions about things you want to know. Then tell your counselor what the dentist does during a checkup examination.
- 4. Do TWO of the following:
- a. Name at least five instruments and five pieces of equipment a dentist uses.
- 5. Discuss with your merit badge counselor the following:
- a. How fluorides help prevent tooth decay and the ways fluorides can be provided to the teeth.
- 6. Do TWO of the following:
- b. Make a poster on the prevention of dental disease. Show the importance of good oral health.
- d. Write a feature story for your school newspaper on the proper care of teeth and gums.
- 7. Find out about three career opportunities in dentistry. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you.
Source: 2007 Boy Scout Requirements (33215)
Help with these requirements
1: How to Read Dental X-Rays Great examples, and language written for young folks.
4a: Dental Instrument Setups An in-depth look at dental instruments.
5a: Fluoride Action Network A contrary view.
7: Career Opportunities in Dentistry From Dentistry.com.