|Line 71:||Line 71:|
== History ==
== History ==
was one of the original Merit Badgesin the 1910 BSA Handbookwas Electricity
== See also ==
== See also ==
Revision as of 22:47, August 5, 2009
Home Electrical Safety Checklist, and links to related Merit Badges and Boy Scout Awards.
Electricity is a fun Merit badge. You can make a motor, electromagnet, etc. -
|Electricity merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||043|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2004|
| A FREE workbook for Electricity is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Per the BSA: "You should read the merit badge pamphlet on the subject." Pamphlets (books) are at local Scout Shops and online at ScoutStuff.org.
- "Get a signed Merit Badge application from your Scoutmaster." An online, printable Word doc file version is available.
1d. National Lightning Safety Institute Tips - National Weather Service Lightning Safety - FEMA Lightning Safety
2. The electrical home safety inspection checklist from the pamphlet is in the last pages of the Electricity Workbook. Also see the UL Home Safety Inspection
- Free Lesson Videos: Replace an Electrical Switch - Replace an Outlet - Test an Outlet - Test GFCI - Safety
3. Make a simple electromagnet: Best site - Great - Great - Great - Good
4. PBS Animated diagram of Direct Current vs. Alternating Current Alternating Current - Direct Current
5. Battery Diagram - Make a Lemon into a Battery - Animation shows how an electric bell works
6. Why a fuse blows or a circuit breaker trips - another site - How to find a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker
7. Electrical overloading - Overloaded Circuits - How to avoid overloaded circuits
8. A sample wiring diagram of a bedroom and graph paper to make your own is in the Electricity Worksheet - How to draw a Scale Floor Plan
9a. How to read an electric meter: Animated - another site - another
9b. The BSA Home Energy Audit in the Electricity Workbook finds many ways to save electricity.
- How to conserve energy - another site - another site - U.S. Department of Energy - U.S. Dept of Energy Resources
10. How Stuff Works: Amps, Watts, Volts and Ohms - more terms - glossary of electrical terms - another great glossary
11b. Make and run a simple electric motor (not from a kit): Best - Great - Good - Boys Life - 4H Book
11c. How to build a simple rheostat - another site
11d. Build a single-pole, double-throw switch
11e. How a model electric train works
Science Awards (Electrical Engineering is an applied science) Science-related awards
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Animal Science - Archaeology - Astronomy - Architecture - Chemistry - Composite Materials - Computers - Electricity - Electronics - Energy - Environmental Science - Geology - Nuclear Science - Radio - Space Exploration - Weather
- Webelos Activity Badge: Engineer - Geologist - Scientist
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Astronomy - Geography - Geology - Science - Weather
Electricity was one of the original Merit Badges, called "Electrician Badge of Merit" in the 1910 BSA Handbook. In 1911 the original 14 "Badges of Merit" changed names (one was dropped, 13 moved on with new names), and became "Merit Badges" with Electrician becoming the Electricity Merit Badge.
General Merit Badge information
- An Introduction to Merit Badges – how to get started, who chooses the counselor, etc.
- Merit Badge Worksheets & Requirements – with the revision dates, diagrams, charts, checklists, logs, and links you need.
- Merit Badge Application – offers online resources to let you print "Blue Cards," etc.
- Merit Badge FAQ – answers dozens of questions like: Who can be a counselor? Can requirements be added or removed?
- Merit Badges Requiring Prior Approval – Certain requirements need prior approval. Most do not. Here is the list.
- Also see: List of how many boys have earned each Merit Badge – Merit Badge policies – Merit badges required for the Eagle Scout rank – Merit Badge Days
- Additionally: List of Merit Badges by Field of Study – Merit Badge Pamphlets & Libraries
- Merit Badge Counselors must complete Youth Protection Training, file an Adult Application (and Merit Badge Counselor Information Form); and be approved by the local council. (See the Guide for Merit Badge Counselors for additional details.)