Famous Eagle Scouts
| Please help improve this article or section by expanding it.|
Further information might be found on the talk page.
This list of Eagle Scouts includes men who have become notable after earning Eagle Scout, the highest rank attainable in the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). Since it was first awarded in 1912, Eagle Scout has been earned by more than one and a half million young men. The title of "Eagle Scout" is held for life, thus giving rise to the phrase "Once an Eagle, always an Eagle".
The Distinguished Eagle Scout Award (DESA), is a special award, awarded only to Eagle Scouts, for distinguished service in his profession and to the community for a period of at least twenty-five years after earning the Eagle Scout rank. Since its introduction in 1969 by the National Eagle Scout Association, the DESA has been awarded to just under 2000 Eagle Scouts.
Famous Eagle Scouts include:
- Neil Armstrong; First human to set foot on the Moon. Retired astronaut, test pilot, and naval aviator; flew on the Gemini 8 and Apollo 11 missions.
- William Bennett; former U.S. Secretary of Education.
- Michael Bloomberg; mayor of New York City.
- John W. Crayton, Jr.; President and CEO of Weyerhauser.
- William E. Dannemeyer; conservative California statesman, and national chairman of Citizens for a Better America.
- William C. DeVries, MD; Transplanted first artificial heart.
- Arthur Eldred; The first Eagle Scout.
- Philo Farnsworth; inventor and patented the television.
- Steve Fossett; Adventurer, president of the National Eagle Scouts Association. Still missing after his plane crashed in the Nevada desert.
- Louis Freeh; former director of the FBI.
- Gerald R. Ford Jr.; 38th President of the United States.
- William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt (DIST); Danish Knight-Scout who is said to be the father of American Scouting.
- L. Ron Hubbard; writer of Dianetics and the founder of Scientology
- James Lovell; Retired astronaut, flew on missions Gemini 7, Gemini 12, Apollo 8, and Apollo 13, former president of National Eagle Scout Association.
- JW Marriott, Jr; President, Marriott Corporation.
- Michael Moore; director, author, and comedian.
- Mitchell Paige; Marine Corps hero who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions during the Battle of Guadalcanal
- H. Ross Perot; Businessman and former presidential candidate.
- Donald Rumsfeld; former United States Secretary of Defense, former representative and ambassador to NATO.
- Stephen Spielberg; director
- Ryan Stout; stand-up comedian
- John Tesh; musician and actor.
People Incorrectly Regarded as Eagle Scouts include:
- Hank Aaron (Silver Buffalo Award recipient)
- Harrison Ford (life scout)
- Jimmy Stewart (second class)