First Class rank
lesson videos showing Outdoor Skills, and First Aid Skills plus Merit Badges, and Scout Awards links.
Troop resources include the Advancement Campout and monthly Troop Program Themes.
|First Class rank|
The advancement program for Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts is symbolized by the earning of seven badges, six of which are considered ranks. The program is often considered to be divided into two phases.
The first phase of advancement (from joining to First Class) is designed to teach the Scoutcraft skills, how to participate in a group, and to learn self-reliance. The Scout badge is awarded when the Scout demonstrates a rudimentary knowledge of the Scouting ideals and program. Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class have progressively harder requirements in the areas of Scoutcraft, physical fitness, citizenship, personal growth, and Scout Spirit.
First Class rank requirements
| A FREE workbook for First Class rank is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- "The requirements for Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks may be worked on simultaneously; however, these ranks must be earned in sequence."
- Alternate Requirements for the First Class rank are available for Scouts with qualifying physical or mental disabilities.
- The Advancement Campout includes all of the camping, cooking, first aid, and hiking skills through First Class.
- BSA Videos: The BSA Video: Skills Lessons are excellent but are large files that require Apple QuickTime.
- Most Links provide a number of resources including videos from the Outdoor Skills, Swimming Skills, and First Aid Skills.
1. BSA Video - Navigation - Navigation Without a Compass
2. BSA Video - Navigation - Navigation Without a Compass
3. BSA Video - Outdoor Skills
4a. BSA Video - Cooking Skills - Food Pyramid - Meal Planning - Recipes - Outdoor Cooking - Cooking Gear
4b. BSA Video - The Menu Planning is in the First Class rank Worksheet.
4c. BSA Video - The Gear Planning is in the First Class rank Worksheet.
4d. BSA Video - Food Handling
4e. BSA Video
5. BSA Video
6. BSA Video
- General Resources:
- Conservation Resources: Soil and Water Conservation Merit Badge resources - Conservation and Resource Center - Leave No Trace Center - Wildlife Conservation Society
- Bird Resources: Bird Study Merit Badge resources
- Fish Resources: Fishing Merit Badge Requirement resources - American Fisheries Society
- Insect Resources: Insect Study Merit Badge resources
- Mammal Resources: Mammal Study Merit Badge resources
- Reptile & Amphibian Resources: Reptile and Amphibian Study Merit Badge resources - Frog Songs
7a. BSA Video
7b. BSA Video - Timber Hitch - Clove Hitch - Square Lashing - Shear Lashing - Diagonal Lashing
7c. BSA Video
8a. BSA Video - Bowline
8b. BSA Video - Sprains
8c. BSA Video - Transporting an Injured Person
8d. BSA Video - Heart Attack - CPR
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See First Aid Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: First Aid Merit Badge Pamphlet - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Guide to Safe Scouting - Physcial
9a. BSA Video - Safety Afloat 9b. BSA Video - BSA Swim Test: Diving also has the feetfirst jump in - Sidestroke - Breaststroke - Trudgen Crawl - Backstroke - Swimming Turns - Floating
9c. BSA Video - Reach, Throw, Row, Go
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See Swimming Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: Swimming & Lifesaving Merit Badge Pamphlets - Guide to Safe Scouting - Safe Swim Defense - Safety Afloat
10. BSA Video - What does Scout Spirit really mean? (It's not what you do in your troop!)
11. BSA Video
12. BSA: Bullying Prevention and Intervention Tips for Scout Leaders and Parents
13. BSA Video - Scoutmaster Conference - Explains that you don't "pass" a Scoutmaster Conference and how to appeal.
14. BSA Video - Board of Review - What can they ask? How long can it be? Is the uniform really required? How do you appeal?
|Boy Scout portal|
|Varsity Scout portal|
1-4: Outdoor-related awards
- Boy Scout ranks: Tenderfoot - Second Class - First Class
- Boy Scout awards: Firem'n Chit - Totin' Chip - Paul Bunyan Woodsman
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Astronomy - Backpacking - Camping - Canoeing - Climbing - Cooking - Cycling - Fire Safety - Hiking - Orienteering - Pioneering - Rowing - Weather - Water Sports - Whitewater - Wilderness Survival
- Venturing: Outdoor Bronze Award; Ranger Award electives: Backpacking
- Webelos Activity Badges: Forester - Naturalist - Outdoorsman
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Astronomy - Map and Compass - Weather
5: Personal development-related awards
- Boy Scout merit badges:
- Venturing: Religious and Community Life Bronze Award - TRUST Award - Quest Award - Ranger Award electives: Physical Fitness - Backpacking
- Webelos activity badges: Citizen - Communicator - Family Member -Fitness - Scholar; Other resources: Flag Ceremonies
- Cub Scout belt loops & pins: Citizenship - Communicating - Heritages - Language and Culture - Physical Fitness
6: Ecology-related awards
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Bird Study - Environmental Science - Fish and Wildlife Management - Forestry - Gardening - Geology - Insect Study - Mammal Study - Nature - Oceanography - Plant Science - Reptile and Amphibian Study - Soil and Water Conservation
- Boy Scout awards: Conservation Good Turn Award - Leave No Trace Award - William T. Hornaday award - World Conservation Award
- Venturing: Ranger Award electives: Ecology - Plants and Wildlife; Awards: Conservation Good Turn Award - Leave No Trace Award - William T. Hornaday award - World Conservation Award
- Webelos Activity Badges: Forester - Naturalist - Outdoorsman
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Geology - Weather - Wildlife Conservation
- Cub Scout awards: Conservation Good Turn Award - Leave No Trace Award - World Conservation Award
8: Emergency Preparedness-related awards
- Scouter Awards: Emergency Preparedness Award
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Crime Prevention - Emergency Preparedness - Fire Safety - First Aid - Lifesaving - Public Health - Safety- Traffic Safety
- Boy Scout awards: Emergency Preparedness Award
- Webelos Activity Badge: Readyman
- Cub Scout Awards: Emergency Preparedness Award
- Others Links: First Aid Skills - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Safe Swim Defense - Safety Afloat - Guide to Safe Scouting: First Aid
- Venturing: Ranger Award-Emergency Preparedness Requirement
9: Aquatic-related awards
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Canoeing - Kayaking - Lifesaving - Motorboating - Rowing - Scuba Diving - Small-Boat Sailing - Swimming - Water Sports - Whitewater
- Boy Scouts ranks and awards: Second Class - First Class - BSA Lifeguard - Boardsailing BSA - Kayaking BSA - Mile Swim BSA - Scuba BSA - Snorkeling BSA - BSA Swim Test
- Venturing: Ranger Award electives: Lifesaving - Scuba - Watercraft; Sea Scout Bronze Award - Sea Scout Ranks: Apprentice - Ordinary - Able - Quartermaster
- Webelos Activity Badge: Aquanaut
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Cub Scout Swimming
- Skills Instruction and Videos: First Aid Skills - Swimming - Outdoor Skills - Wilderness Survival - Backpacking - Cooking - Navigation - Campfires - Clothing - Cycling Skills