The Webelos Geologist Activity Badge is one of 20 different Activity Badges that can be earned in the Webelos Scout Program. The requirements are typically worked on during den meetings or den activities while the skills are practiced at home, with the help of the Webelos Scout's family. The requirements are either completed with the den or at home with the den leader's approval. Projects are brought to meetings to share with the den and for Webelos Den Leader or Activity Badge Counselor approval.
Do five of these:
- 1. Collect five geologic specimens that have important uses.
- 2. Rocks and minerals are used in metals, glass, jewelry, road-building products, and fertilizer. Give examples of minerals used in these products.
- 3. Make a scale of mineral hardness for objects found at home. Show how to use the scale by finding the relative hardness of three samples.
- 4. List some of the geologic materials used in building your home.
- 5. Make a drawing that shows the cause of a volcano, a geyser, or an earthquake.
- 6. Explain one way in which mountains are formed.
- 7. Describe what a fossil is. How is it used to tell how old a formation is? Find two examples of fossils in your area.
- 8. Take a field trip to a geological site, geological laboratory, or rock show. Discuss what you learned at your next Webelos den meeting.
- 9. While you are a Webelos Scout, earn the Cub Scout Academics belt loop for Geology.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Webelos Handbook, 2007 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #637685)
Help with these requirements
| A FREE workbook for Geologist is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.