Do five of these:
- 1. Collect five geologic specimens that have important uses.
- 2. Rocks and minerals are used in metals, glass, jewelry, road-building products, and fertilizer. Give examples of minerals used in these products.
- 3. Make a scale of mineral hardness for objects found at home. Show how to use the scale by finding the relative hardness of three samples.
- 4. List some of the geologic materials used in building your home.
- 5. Make a drawing that shows the cause of a volcano, a geyser, or an earthquake.
- 6. Explain one way in which mountains are formed.
- 7. Describe what a fossil is. How is it used to tell how old a formation is? Find two examples of fossils in your area.
- 8. Take a field trip to a geological site, geological laboratory, or rock show. Discuss what you learned at your next Webelos den meeting.
- 9. While you are a Webelos Scout, earn the Cub Scout Academics belt loop for Geology.
Merit Badge Worksheets can help Scouts organize notes, listen actively, and document their work. Many worksheets also contain links to free, online video instruction.