Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills
Assistant Scoutmasters, and Varsity Scout Coaches and is know as Scoutmaster Outdoor Training.
There is also a Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders.
Outdoor skills are critical to the success of the Scouting program, and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills will provide leaders with the basic outdoor skills information needed to start a program right. The skills taught are based on the outdoor skills found in The Boy Scout Handbook. The course is also ideal for Venturing leaders because it focuses on skills that build confidence and competence in leaders conducting outdoor camping experiences.
A new Scoutmasters or Assistant Scoutmasters is considered trained upon completion of Fast Start Training, New Leader Essentials, Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Indoor Leader Specific Training and the Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills. Troop committee members and Webelos Den Leaders who plan to move into a leadership position in a troop are encouraged to complete this training as well.
Leader Specific Training is divided into four parts. The first three parts are designed to teach troop operations and can be completed indoor in one full day or three evenings. The fourth part is completing Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills, which are the skills required for the Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks. Because emphasis is placed on a leader's previous knowledge of the skill rather than course attendance, a new leader can complete this course at an accelerated pace. The emphasis is on the skill, rather than on attending the course.
The council and/or district usually offer Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills several times each year. Check with your troop, unit commissioner, district training chair, or local council service center for dates and locations.
Online or classroom Leader Training
Youth protection (MANDATORY) – every registered adult must be re-certified every two years.
- Fast Start Training – online training you can take right now.
- Leader Specific Training – provides the specialized knowledge a new leader needs.
BSA Online Learning Center – provides a variety of materials courses.
- Other: This Is Scouting (formerly New Leader Essentials) – Roundtable – University of Scouting – Trainer’s EDGE (formerly Trainer Development Conference)
Outdoor Leader Training
In addition to fulfilling other requirements, some unit leaders need outdoor-specific training.
- Cub Scout Pack: BALOO – To have a Pack camp-out, at least one unit leader must be BALOO trained.
- Webelos Den Leaders: Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders (OWL) – To have a Webelos Den camp-out.
- Scoutmaster & Assistants and Varsity Scout Coach & Assistants: Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills – To have a camp-out.
- Wood Badge – Advanced Leadership skills for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, Venturing, district and council Scouters.
- Seabadge Underway – Advanced Leadership skills for unit, district and council Sea Scouters.