Leatherwork Merit Badge requirement resources include the Merit Badge Worksheet ,
lesson video links, and links to related Merit Badges and Boy Scout Awards.
Leatherwork is a popular Summer Camp Merit badge and fun for a new Scout. ◄ Prev - Next ►
|Leatherwork merit badge
| BSA Advancement ID:
| Requirements revision:
| Latest pamphlet revision:
- Do the following:
- a. Explain to your counsel the hazards you are most likely to encounter while using leatherwork tools and materials, and what you should do to anticipate, help prevent, mitigate, or lessen these hazards.
- b. how that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while working with leather, including minor cuts and scratches, puncture wounds, ingested poisoning, and reactions from exposure to chemicals such as dyes, cements, and finishes used in leatherworking.
- Explain to your counselor
- a. Where leather comes from
- b. What kinds of hides are used to make leather
- c. What are five types of leather
- d. What are the best uses for each type of leather
- Make one or more articles of leather that use at least five of the following steps:
- a. Pattern layout and transfer
- b. Cutting leather
- c. Punching holes
- d. Carving or stamping surface designs.
- e. Applying dye or stain and finish to the project.
- f. Assembly by lacing or stitching
- g. Setting snaps and rivets
- h. Dressing edges
- Recondition or show that you can take proper care of your shoes, a baseball glove, a saddle, furniture or other articles of leather.
- Do ONE of the following:
- a. Learn about the commercial tanning process. Report about it to your merit badge counselor.
- b. Tan the skin of a small animal. Describe the safety precautions you will take and the tanning method that you used.
- c. Braid or plait an article out of leather or vinyl lace.
- d. Visit a leather-related business. This could be a leathercraft supply company, a tannery, a leather goods or shoe factory, or a saddle shop. Report on your visit to your counselor.
|| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Boy Scout Requirements, 2014 Edition (BSA Supply No. 33216 - SKU# 619576)
The text of these requirements is locked and can only be edited by an administrator.
Please note any errors found in the above requirements on this article's Talk Page.
Art Awards Links (Leatherwork is an Applied Art)