Leave No Trace
| Please help improve this article by expanding it.|
Further information might be found on the talk page.
- For the Leave No Trace award, see Leave No Trace (Award).
Leave No Trace is an outdoor code of ethics. The principles of Leave No Trace are as follows:
- Plan ahead and prepare
- Travel and camp on durable surfaces
- Dispose of waste properly
- Leave what you find
- Minimize campfire impact
- Respect wildlife
- Be considerate of other visitors
Plan ahead and prepare
Some things you will want to plan and prepare for before you leave on a trip are as follows:
- Check the weather forecast
- Make sure you know the rules and regulations of the area
- Know the anticipated food consumption
- Make a meal plan
- Make a duty roster
- Identify your trip's goal
- Make sure you have brought the essential outdoor tools
- Know the ability level of your unit's members
Travel and camp on durable surfaces
Prepare corrcetly for different types of terrain.
- Rock, gravel
- Very durable
- Can tolerate repeated trampling
- The effect of trampling is temporary, making it a good surface
- Make sure you have dressed correctly
- Vegetation varies in sturdiness
- Select areas with sparse vegetation
- Desert puddles/mud holes
- Do not walk through these. Water is a precious resource in the desert.
Dispose of waste properly
- Do not bury trash!
- Strain dishwater and broadcast the strained water over a wide area at least 200 feet from the nearest water source.
Leave what you find
- Preserve the past! Give others the save opportunity you had to find things.
- Leave rocks, plants, and other natural objects as you find them.
- AVOID INTRODUCING NON-NATIVE SPECIES.
- Do not build structures, furniture, or dig trenches.
Minimize campfire impact
- Campfires can leave a lasting impact on the environment.
- Use a lightweight stove for cooking
- Use a candle lantern for light.
- Where fires are permitted, use established fire areas.
- Keep fires small, use only sticks that can be broken by hand.
- Burn all wood to ash, put out campfires completely, then scatter cooled ashes.
- BURN ONLY WOOD!!!