Welcome to... MERITBADGE.ORG — "Helping Scouts Advance"
MeritBadge.Org is not affiliated with Boy Scouts of America or WOSM. Scouting® and many other terms are registered trademarks of the BSA. Please see the Disclaimers.
- MeritBadge.Org provides resources for Tiger, Wolf, and Bear Cub Scouts, Webelos, Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturers including:
- Nearly 200 worksheets for Merit Badges, Webelos Activity Badges, and Cub Scout Belt Loops and Pins,
- Thousands of resource links for nearly 300 ranks, Merit Badges, Scout Awards, and Scouter Awards
- 942 main topics and 8,420 pages with 2,038 documents and images for over 100,000 monthly visitors
- 14,988 volunteers who have made 43,537 updates.
- MeritBadge.Org is the free Scouting Wikipedia dedicated to providing advancement resources for Scouts and leaders. Here's What's new!
Dr. James E. West (May 16, 1876 – May 15, 1948) was a lawyer and an advocate of children's rights, who become the first professional Chief Scout Executive of the Boy Scouts of America, serving from 1911-1943. Upon his retirement from the BSA, West was given the title of Chief Scout.
When the new BSA office opened in January 1911 West was at the helm and the movement began to grow at a rapid pace. Sixty local councils were organized in the first month of his tenure. One of his first tasks was the first edition of Boy Scout Handbook. West was instrumental in expanding the third part of the Scout Oath:
- ...To help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.
He also pushed to add three parts to the Scout Law: brave, clean, and reverent. In November 1911 the title was changed and he became the first Chief Scout Executive.
Other areas of this site
- Site Map - A list of all the pages on this web site
- FAQ - Frequently asked questions about this web site
- Policies - Important information about you and this site
Purge cache to show recent changes