The most commonly used search text box is waaaaay down the sidebar and often requires user to scroll down to the search box. In the sidebar, for Navigation and Jump Pages, there is little need for another (2nd) indentation. Removing the 2nd indentation will compress the list in such a manner that the search bar will be visible. —Egberts, 05:32, January 23, 2008 (EST)
- Agreed; particularly for users whose display resolution is 800x600, or less. But, can anybody tell me how I can put the Searchbar higher? (I am still looking.) That way, I can add the jump pages back to the Sidebar, but lower down the pane. —RWSmith (Bureaucrat), 01:21, January 25, 2008 (EST)
Customized Sidebar (navigation pane on the left)
- Moved from Talk:Main Page...
EXCELLENT decision to put a direct link to the merit badges on the front page under Boy Scouts. Saves us time almost every time we use the site! EagleForumFan 18:42, December 16, 2007 (EST)
Where did it go? Can we please get the direct link back on the front page? Saves a lot of clicks. EagleForumFan 01:21, January 25, 2008 (EST)
- Well, somebody else asked that the Sidebar (added left pane links) be removed because it put the search box too far down the page. So, I did, even though I liked it. (The two screens I use when editing are on the high-end of resolution; so, I still saw the search box. Now, what I'm going to try to do is find a happy medium... i.e., set my res. down to 800x600 and work on it. Anybody who's interested, let's take this conversation over to MediaWiki talk:Sidebar. —RWSmith (Bureaucrat), 00:38, January 31, 2008 (EST)
I think that the Sidebar is wasting valuable real estate. I think that we should remove:
- Community Portal - outdated? of what usefulness?
- Current events - also very old, plus the link is at the top of the main page
- Random page - fun, but does anyone need this?
- Donations - can be combined with about
I would really like to see some discussion on this weeks-old topic. Scouterdennis 14:39, November 29, 2008 (EST)