Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts may work on merit badges from they time they join a Scout troop until they turn 18 years old. See Merit Badge for more details.
Key Merit Badge Rules
- "Any Boy Scout may earn any merit badge at any time. You don't need to have had rank advancement to be eligible."
- "Scoutmaster will give you the name of a person from a list of counselors."
- "You must have another person with you at each meeting with the merit badge counselor."
- "You are expected to meet the requirements as they are stated—no more and no less. You are expected to do exactly what is stated in the requirements."
- Note that some Merit Badges Require Prior Approval for certain requirements. The rest do not: " Any Boy Scout may earn any merit badge at any time...You are expected to meet the requirements as they are stated—no more and no less." - Boy Scout Requirements p. 22 - 23.
- The use of Merit Badge Worksheets cannot be added as a requirement by a counselor.
- See the Merit Badge FAQ for answers to many common questions.
|— Boy Scout Requirements #33215, p. 22-23: Online Printed
General Merit Badge information