New Leader Training
(put TOC in normal place)
(→What Makes a Trained Leader?: fix link to adult app)
|Line 82:||Line 82:|
|style="text-align:right;"|— [http://www.scouting.org/.Adult Application -501]
New Leader Training is comprised of:
What Makes a Trained Leader?
* Note: Fast Start Training is no longer required to be considered Trained; however it is still highly recommended. Additionally, This Is Scouting (was New Leader Essentials) is also no longer required (except for CORs).
** Some councils require Crews with Outdoor emphasis to take IOLS, other councils require all Crew leaders to take IOLS, the flyer on scouting.org does not include IOLS for Venture leaders.
New Leader Training
The New Leader Training is customized training to help leaders easily graduate through the courses quickly and with little duplication.
Online Fast Start Training is the first step for all new volunteers as soon as they register and before meeting with any youth member. Fast Start Training is tailored to the leader's position:
Training continues through with Leader Specific Training which provides more specialized information about the leader's particular position and an introduction to outdoor leader skills (for some leaders - see chart above).
Online or classroom Leader Training
Youth protection (MANDATORY) – every registered adult must be re-certified every two years.
- Fast Start Training – online training you can take right now.
- Leader Specific Training – provides the specialized knowledge a new leader needs.
BSA Online Learning Center – provides a variety of materials courses.
- Other: This Is Scouting (formerly New Leader Essentials) – Roundtable – University of Scouting – Trainer’s EDGE (formerly Trainer Development Conference)
Outdoor Leader Training
In addition to fulfilling other requirements, some unit leaders need outdoor-specific training.
- Cub Scout Pack: BALOO – To have a Pack camp-out, at least one unit leader must be BALOO trained.
- Webelos Den Leaders: Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders (OWL) – To have a Webelos Den camp-out.
- Scoutmaster & Assistants and Varsity Scout Coach & Assistants: Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills – To have a camp-out.
- Wood Badge – Advanced Leadership skills for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, Venturing, district and council Scouters.
- Seabadge – Advanced Leadership skills for unit, district and council Sea Scouters.