New Leader Training helps leaders easily graduate through the courses quickly and with little duplication. New Leaders will participate in the same New Leader Essentials and Youth Protection Training but have Fast Start Training and Leader Specific Training tailored for their position:
|Cubmaster/Assistant||Tiger Den Leader||Webelos Den Leader||Wolf/Bear Den Leader|
|Pack Committee||Boy Scout Leader||Venturing Leader||Unit Commissioner|
The New Leader Training package provides the district training committee with tools to achieve 100 percent trained unit volunteers. It begins with the existing Fast Start Training, continues through New Leader Essentials, and is followed by Leader Specific Training for each adult's role in the unit.
Here is a brief overview of the components of the training continuum.
- Fast Start Training is the first step for any new volunteer and is to be delivered immediately after a new leader registers and before he or she meets with any youth member.
- Basic Leader Training has two parts:
These training courses include leader specific training for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Venturing leaders; an introduction to outdoor leader skills and Wood Badge.
Online or classroom Leader Training
Youth protection (MANDATORY) – every registered adult must be re-certified every two years.
- Fast Start Training – online training you can take right now.
- Leader Specific Training – provides the specialized knowledge a new leader needs.
BSA Online Learning Center Training courses can be completed online at my.Scouting Tools by selecting Home, then My Dashboard.
- Other: This Is Scouting (formerly New Leader Essentials) – Roundtable – University of Scouting – Trainer’s EDGE (formerly Trainer Development Conference)
Outdoor Leader Training
In addition to fulfilling other requirements, some unit leaders need outdoor-specific training.
- Cub Scout Pack: BALOO – To have a Pack camp-out, at least one unit leader must be BALOO trained.
- Webelos Den Leaders: Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders (OWL) – To have a Webelos Den camp-out.
- Scoutmaster & Assistants and Varsity Scout Coach & Assistants: Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills – To have a camp-out.
- Wood Badge – Advanced Leadership skills for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, Venturing, district and council Scouters.
- Seabadge – Advanced Leadership skills for unit, district and council Sea Scouters.