What Makes a Trained Leader?
|— Adult Leader Application 28-501|
New Leader Training
The New Leader Training is customized training to help leaders easily graduate through the courses quickly and with little duplication.
Online Fast Start Training is the first step for all new volunteers as soon as they register and before meeting with any youth member. Fast Start Training is tailored to the leader's position:
|Cubmaster/Assistant||Tiger Cub Den Leader||Webelos Den Leader||Wolf/Bear Den Leader|
|Pack Committee||Boy Scout Leader||Venturing Leader||Unit Commissioner|
Training continues through the two parts of Basic Leader Training. The first part of Basic Leader Training is the general This Is Scouting (was New Leader Essentials) which highlights the values, aims, history, funding, and methods of Scouting. The second part is Leader Specific Training which provides more specialized information about the leade's particular position and an introduction to outdoor leader skills and Wood Badge.
Online or classroom Leader Training
Youth protection (MANDATORY) – every registered adult must be re-certified every two years.
- Fast Start Training – online training you can take right now.
- Leader Specific Training – provides the specialized knowledge a new leader needs.
BSA Online Learning Center Training courses can be completed online at my.Scouting Tools by selecting Home, then My Dashboard.
- Other: This Is Scouting (formerly New Leader Essentials) – Roundtable – University of Scouting – Trainer’s EDGE (formerly Trainer Development Conference)
Outdoor Leader Training
In addition to fulfilling other requirements, some unit leaders need outdoor-specific training.
- Cub Scout Pack: BALOO – To have a Pack camp-out, at least one unit leader must be BALOO trained.
- Webelos Den Leaders: Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders (OWL) – To have a Webelos Den camp-out.
- Scoutmaster & Assistants and Varsity Scout Coach & Assistants: Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills – To have a camp-out.
- Wood Badge – Advanced Leadership skills for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, Venturing, district and council Scouters.
- Seabadge – Advanced Leadership skills for unit, district and council Sea Scouters.