links, and cross-references to related Merit Badges and Boy Scout Awards.
Nuclear Science (previously Atomic Energy) is a rare Merit Badge! -
|Nuclear Science merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||024|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2004|
Nuclear Science requirements
| A FREE workbook for Nuclear Science is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Per the BSA: "You should read the merit badge pamphlet on the subject." Pamphlets (books) are at local Scout Shops and online at ScoutStuff.org.
- "Get a signed Merit Badge application from your Scoutmaster." An online, printable Word doc file version is available.
- This merit badge replaced Atomic Energy, which was taken out in late 2006-early 2007.
- This badge is one of the elective merit badges of the William T. Hornaday Awards for Boy Scouts.
1b. Radiation Symbol - Radiation Hazard Symbol - Radiation and Risk
2. Dictionary of Radiological Terms - US NRC Glossary of Nuclear Terms - Nuclear Science Terms - Term Glossary - First Course in Nuclear Science - Glossary of Terms
3. The Atomic Heritage Foundation - Biographies of the Nuclear Age - Famous Figures in Nuclear Science
- Henri Becquerel - Niels Bohr - Marie Curie - Albert Einstein - Enrico Fermi - Otto Hahn - Ernest Lawrence - Lise Meitner - Wilhelm Roentgen - Sir Ernest Rutherford
4a: Nuclear Fission - Nuclear Fission - Chain Reaction
4b. Critical Mass
5a. How to build an electroscope - Build an Electroscope
5b. Description of how a Nuclear Reactor works - Inside a Nuclear Reactor
5c. How time, distance and shielding reduce radiation dose
5d. Food Irradiation - Food Irradiation from A to Z - Irradiation information and how to recognize irradiated foods
5e. Natural Radioactivity - Citizen's Guide to Radon - How radon tests work - Radon Outreach Program
5f. The graph paper you need is in the Nuclear Science Worksheet.
X-ray info and safety precautions - X-ray safety
5g. How to build a cloud chamber - How a cloud chamber works - How to Build a Cloud Chamber
5h. Radioisotopes in medicine
5i. Seed Irradiation
5j. See 6c below.
6a. Nuclear Medicine - Environmental - Nuclear Propulsion - Radiation Therapy
6b. US Nuclear power - Locate Nuclear Power Plants in the US - Energy in the United States - Nuclear Power Plants and Utilities - Nuclear Power in the World
6c. Brookhaven National Lab Research Facilities - Fermi Lab - Stanford Linear Accelerator Center - Jefferson National Lab Accelerator - Argonne National Lab Research Facilities - Advanced Light Source at Berkeley
7. Nuclear Education and Research - Careers in Radiology - Radiation Therapy Careers
Science Awards Science-related awards
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Animal Science - Archaeology - Astronomy - Architecture - Chemistry - Composite Materials - Computers - Electricity - Electronics - Energy - Environmental Science - Geology - Nuclear Science - Radio - Space Exploration - Weather
- Webelos Activity Badge: Engineer - Geologist - Scientist
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Astronomy - Geography - Geology - Science - Weather
Profession Awards Profession-related awards
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: American Business - Architecture - Aviation - Chemistry - Crime Prevention - Dentistry - Engineering - Entrepreneurship - Inventing - Journalism - Landscape Architecture - Law - Medicine - Personal Management - Pulp and Paper - Salesmanship - Surveying - Textile - Veterinary Medicine
- Webelos Activity Badges: Engineer - Scientist
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Mathematics - Science
Merit Badge information
- An Introduction to Merit Badges – how to get started, who chooses the counselor, etc.
- Merit Badge Worksheets & Requirements – with the revision dates, diagrams, charts, checklists, logs, and links you need.
- Merit Badge Application – offers online resources to let you print "Blue Cards," etc.
- Merit Badge FAQ – answers dozens of questions like: Who can be a counselor? Can requirements be added or removed?
- Merit Badges Requiring Prior Approval – Certain requirements need prior approval. Most do not. Here is the list.
- Also see: Most Popular Merit Badges – Merit Badge Policies – Eagle-Required Merit Badges – Merit Badge Days
- Additionally: List of Merit Badges by Field of Study – Merit Badge Pamphlets & Libraries
- Merit Badge Counselors must complete Youth Protection Training, file an Adult Application (and Merit Badge Counselor Information Form); and be approved by the local council. (See the Guide for Merit Badge Counselors for additional details.)
- Nuclear Energy Institute: Science Club A full explanation and exploration of nuclear science, written on a middle-school level.