|Nuclear Science merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||024|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2010|
|“||Nuclear science gives us a simple explanation of the natural world. The ultimate goal of nuclear science is to find out if there is one fundamental rule that explains how matter and forces interact. Earning the Nuclear Science merit badge is a chance for Scouts to learn about this exciting field at the cutting edge of science today.||”|
Nuclear Science is one of the elective merit badges for the William T. Hornaday awards for Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts.
- This merit badge replaced Atomic Energy, which was taken out in late 2006-early 2007.
- Nuclear Science is a rare merit badge!
- Deterministic and Stochastic ModelsDeterministic vs Stochastic
- Estimate your Annual Dose of Radiation - Radiation Exposure EPA Radiation Laws
1b. Radiation Symbol - Radiation Hazard Symbol - A history of the radiation symbol - Radiation and Risk
2. Dictionary of Radiological Terms - US NRC Glossary of Nuclear Terms - Nuclear Science Terms - Term Glossary - First Course in Nuclear Science - Glossary of Terms
3. The Atomic Heritage Foundation - Biographies of the Nuclear Age - Famous Figures in Nuclear Science
- Henri Becquerel - Niels Bohr - Marie Curie - Albert Einstein - Enrico Fermi - Otto Hahn - Ernest Lawrence - Lise Meitner - Wilhelm Roentgen - Sir Ernest Rutherford
4a: Nuclear Fission - Nuclear Fission - Chain Reaction
4b. Critical Mass
5a. Build an Electroscope - A Homemade Fallout Meter (Kearny Fallout Meter) Video = Kearny Fallout Meter - Test with Dental X-ray
5b. Description of how a Nuclear Reactor works - Inside a Nuclear Reactor
5c. How time, distance and shielding reduce radiation dose - How to reduce exposure to radiation - Wikipedia Biological Shielding - Time, Distance, and Shielding - How to detect radiation
5d. Food Irradiation - Food Irradiation from A to Z - Irradiation information and how to recognize irradiated foods - USFDA Food Irradiation
5e. Natural Radioactivity - Citizen's Guide to Radon - How radon tests work - Radon Outreach Program - Video = Testing Your Granite Counter-top for Radon
5f. The graph paper you need is in the Nuclear Science Worksheet.
5g. How to build a cloud chamber -
How a cloud chamber works - Video = How to Build a Cloud Chamber
5h. Radioisotopes in medicine - Uses of Isotopes
5i. Seed Irradiation
5j. See 6c below for accelerator laboratories. - Universities with Research Reactors
6a. Nuclear Medicine - Environmental - Nuclear Propulsion - Radiation Therapy
6b. US Nuclear power - Locate Nuclear Power Plants in the US - Energy in the United States - Nuclear Power Plants and Utilities - Nuclear Power in the World
6c. Brookhaven Lab - Fermi Lab - Stanford Linear Accelerator - Jefferson Lab - Argonne Lab - Advanced Light Source at Berkeley
7. Nuclear Engineering Career Page - Nuclear Education and Research - Careers in Radiology - Radiation Therapy Careers - Video = Nuclear Engineering A Fulfilling Career
|General Merit Badge information
- Nuclear Energy Institute: Science Club A full explanation and exploration of nuclear science, written on a middle-school level.