|Oceanography merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||079|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2003|
| A FREE workbook for Oceanography is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- This badge is one of the elective merit badges of the William T. Hornaday Awards for Boy Scouts.
- Composition of Seawater - Excellent site for requirements 2 and 5. It gives much detailed information about the oceans including the percentage of elements present in water, salinity/salts, density, dissolved gases, temperature, nutrients, and underwater photosynthesis.
- Plankton and the Benthos: From Top to Bottom - Good resource for requirement 6. Provides detailed information on the Plankton and Benthos marine groups.
- Marine Careers - The site says it all. Perfect for option C in requirement 8.
Merit Badge information
- An Introduction to Merit Badges – how to get started, who chooses the counselor, etc.
- Merit Badge Worksheets & Requirements – with the revision dates, diagrams, charts, checklists, logs, and links you need.
- Merit Badge Application – offers online resources to let you print "Blue Cards," etc.
- Merit Badge FAQ – answers dozens of questions like: Who can be a counselor? Can requirements be added or removed?
- Merit Badges Requiring Prior Approval – Certain requirements need prior approval. Most do not. Here is the list.
- Also see: Most Popular Merit Badges – Merit Badge Policies – Eagle-Required Merit Badges – Merit Badge Days
- Additionally: List of Merit Badges by Field of Study – Merit Badge Pamphlets & Libraries
- Merit Badge Counselors must complete Youth Protection Training, file an Adult Application (and Merit Badge Counselor Information Form); and be approved by the local council. (See the Guide for Merit Badge Counselors for additional details.)
- University of West Florida - One of the leading universities in marine science. Offers undergraduate degrees in Marine Biology, Maritime Studies, and Oceanography; graduate degrees in Biology including specializations in Marine Biology and Coastal Zones.
- Texas A & M - One of the largest and most well-known unversities that offers degrees and conducts research in the fields of marine science. Offers undergraduate degrees in Ocean Engineering and Biology and minors in Oceanography; graduate degrees in Water Management and Hydrological Science, Fisheries Science, Ocean Engineering, Oceanography, and Biology. It also has a special branch in Galveston, TX that is specifically devoted to the marine sciences.