Merit badge requirements
- 1. Explain the proper safety procedures to follow when preparing surfaces and applying coatings.
- 2. Do the following:
- a. Explain three ways that coatings can improve a surface.
- b. Explain the differences between oil-based paints and water-based paints.
- c. Explain where you would apply enamel paint, flat paint, wood stain, and varnish, and explain the importance of sheen.
- d. Tell why each is best for these uses.
- 3. Prepare and paint two different surfaces using patching material, caulking, and proper primers and topcoats. Suggested projects include an interior or exterior wall, a door, a piece of furniture, a concrete wall or floor , a porch rail, or a fence. Your counselor must preapprove the projects.
- 4. Prepare and paint an item using harmonizing colors that you have created by tinting white base paint.
- 5. Show the right way to use, clean, maintain, and store painting equipment.
- 6. Explain the importance of ladder safety, environmental responsibility, and personal hygiene when painting.
- 7. Explain some of the environmental and health issues concerning removing paint, applying paint, and discarding old paint.
- 8. Discuss with your counselor the various career opportunities associated with the painting trade.
Source: 2007 Boy Scout Requirements (33215)