- Explain the proper safety procedures to follow when preparing surfaces and applying coatings.
- Do the following:
- a. Explain three ways that coatings can improve a surface.
- b. Explain the differences between oil-based paints, Acrylic-based paints, and water-based paints.
- c. Explain where you would apply enamel paint, flat paint, wood stain, and varnish, and explain the importance of sheen.
- d. Tell why each is best for these uses.
- Prepare and paint two different surfaces using patching material, caulking, and the proper primers and topcoats. Suggested projects include an interior or exterior wall, a door, a piece of furniture, a concrete wall or floor , a porch rail, or a fence. Your counselor must preapprove the projects.
- Prepare and paint an item using harmonizing colors that you have selected using the color wheel in this book.
- Show the right way to use, clean, maintain, and store painting equipment.
- Explain the importance of ladder safety, environmental responsibility, and personal hygiene when painting.
- Explain some of the environmental and health issues concerning removing paint, applying paint, and discarding old paint.
- Find out about career opportunities in the paint industry. Discuss the training and experience required, and explain why this profession might interest you.
|| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Boy Scout Requirements, 2016 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #621535)
The text of these requirements may be locked. In that case, they can only be edited by an administrator.
Please note any errors found in the above requirements on this article's Talk Page.