Personal Development Program Manager
|Serving as Personal Development Program Manager can apply towards Positions of Responsibility requirements for Star, Life, and Eagle.|
| Personal Development |
The Personal Development Program Manager is a position of responsibility appointed by the Captain who supervises five activities in this field of emphasis: Spiritual development, leadership, citizenship, social and cultural attributes, and physical fitness.
The Personal Development Program Manager is an appointed leader of the team's and his own personal development activities in five specific areas. In four of the areas (Spiritual development, citizenship, social and cultural attributes, and physical fitness) he plan activities, award opportunities or other achievements for individual members or the team as a whole. Leadership may be satisfied by carrying out the duties of this program, or by taking a leadership course. He works with an adult Personal Development Program Adviser to plan and perform primary leadership for these team events. He usually serves a 6- or 12-month term.
Multiple concurrent program managers for this field
The team captain may appoint multiple concurrent personal development program managers. Each program manager fulfills their own leadership area requirement; the Team Coach assigns the primary leads of the remaining four areas evenly among the program managers - each will have specific areas they are primary leader, and then they will assist the other program manager(s) with carrying out the other activities.
- Plans and coordinates team and individual activities in the five areas of personal development.
- Communicates with team members to determine special needs.
- Locates speakers and consultants.
- Works with program managers for the other fields of emphasis to coordinate activities.
- Keeps informed of community activities of interest to the team.
- Takes advantage of guidance offered by the adult Personal Development Program Adviser.
- Sets a good example for fellow team members.
- Enthusiastically and correctly wears the Scout uniform (all four parts).
- Lives by the Scout Oath and Law.
- Shows Scout spirit
This position is responsible for helping team members make the most of opportunities to further their personal development. The area of leadership may be satisfied by carrying out the duties of this program, or by taking a leadership course either outside of Scouting or within Scouting (such as Junior Leader Training, National Youth Leader Training, VLCS or Kodiak, den chief training, etc.).
For the areas of spiritual development, citizenship, social and cultural attributes, and physical fitness, look for appropriate individual awards, activities and achievements. Review the ideas listed in the "Program Features at a Glance" for program ideas. A wide range of other activities outside the printed program could be planned including inviting guest speakers, viewing presentations on a country or culture, visits to a museum, ethnic festival, play, or a courtroom session. Invite young women and hold ethics forum or a panel discussion on a current event or courtship and dating. Attend an inter-religious festival, invite a guest to speak on a religious or spiritual topic. Hold a merit badge clinic in citizenship, genealogy or a sports/fitness type; earn award with the entire team such as the Crime Prevention Award, Hometown U.S.A. Award, the Mile Swim award, or the James M. Stewart Good Citizenship Award, or the BSA Physical Fitness Award.
Working with an adult advancement program adviser
The Personal Development Program Adviser is the adult counterpart to the Scout program manager. The program adviser helps and encourages the youth program manger to:
- Help plan activities to meet the requirements of this field of emphasis.
- Work with the team committee and other program managers to integrate personal development activities into all team events.
- Locate speakers and consultants who will be informative and helpful to the team.
- Be familiar with the standards of safety and youth protection in the BSA to keep all activities safe for all participants.
The Personal Development Program Manager is a youth special program leader in its unit. Other youth program leaders are:
|Varsity Scout portal|
- James M. Steward Good Citizenship Award on the Boyscouttrail.com site.