| This is the Personal Fitness merit badge for Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturers.|
Webelos Scouts can earn the Fitness activity badge.
Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts can earn the Cub Scout Physical Fitness belt loop and pin.
|Personal Fitness merit badge is required for the Eagle Scout rank.|
|Personal Fitness requires prior counselor approval for requirement(s) #7.|
|Personal Fitness merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||010|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2013|
|“||Personal fitness is an individual effort and desire to be the best one can be. Regardless of their current levels of personal fitness, in the twelve weeks it will take Scouts to complete the athletic requirements for this merit badge, they will be in better shape, feel better about themselves, have more energy, and gain self-confidence in their overall abilities.||”|
Personal Fitness merit badge requirements
If meeting any of the requirements for this merit badge is against the Scout's religious convictions, the requirement does not have to be done if the Scout's parents and the proper religious advisers state in writing that to do so would be against religious convictions. The Scout's parents must also accept full responsibility for anything that might happen because of this exemption.
| A FREE workbook for Personal Fitness is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Per the BSA: "You should read the merit badge pamphlet on the subject." Pamphlets (books) are at local Scout Shops and online at ScoutStuff.org.
- "Get a signed Merit Badge application from your Scoutmaster." An online, printable Word doc file version is available.
- The BSA Physical Fitness Troop Program Feature offers meeting and activity plans to include Personal Fitness as one of your monthly themes.
- Personal Fitness is a popular merit badge.
The Troop Physical Fitness Monthly Theme includes meeting and activity materials.
1.a. The Annual Health and Medical Record #34605 has replaced the Medical Exam Form Class 1, 2, & 3
1.a.4 Seven Warning Signs of Cancer - 7 Signs of cancer at WebMD
1.a.5 Risk Factors for Coronary Heart Disease - What are the Youth Risk Factors that Affect Cardiovascular Fitness in Adulthood?
2.c. What does it mean to be mentally healthy?
2.e. Concept of Health
3f. Kid's Health: Smoking Sticks - What You Need to Know About Drugs - Alcohol Dangers - McGruff on Drugs and Alcohol - What You Need To Know About Drugs - McGruff on Drugs and Alcohol - DARE - Read the booklet Choose to Refuse! Discuss it with an adult and show that you understand the material.
- Flexibility Reach test box diagrams
- Proper way to do sit-ups
- Proper way to do pull-ups
- Proper way to do push-ups
- Lesson Videos: Warm Up - Stretching - Running - Pull-Ups - Push-Ups - Basketball - Baseball - Football - Bench Press - Leg Curls
Personal development-related awards
- Boy Scout merit badges:
- Venturing: Religious and Community Life Bronze Award - TRUST Award - Quest Award - Ranger Award electives: Physical Fitness - Backpacking
- Webelos activity badges: Citizen - Communicator - Family Member -Fitness - Scholar; Other resources: Flag Ceremonies
- Cub Scout belt loops & pins: Citizenship - Communicating - Heritages - Language and Culture - Physical Fitness
General Merit Badge information
- An Introduction to Merit Badges – how to get started, who chooses the counselor, etc.
- Merit Badge Worksheets & Requirements – with the revision dates, diagrams, charts, checklists, logs, and links you need.
- Merit Badge Application – offers online resources to let you print "Blue Cards," etc.
- Merit Badge FAQ – answers dozens of questions like: Who can be a counselor? Can requirements be added or removed?
- Merit Badges Requiring Prior Approval – Certain requirements need prior approval. Most do not. Here is the list.
- Also see: List of how many boys have earned each Merit Badge – Merit Badge policies – Merit badges required for the Eagle Scout rank – Merit Badge Days
- Additionally: List of Merit Badges by Field of Study – Merit Badge Pamphlets & Libraries
- Merit Badge Counselors must complete Youth Protection Training, file an Adult Application (and Merit Badge Counselor Information Form); and be approved by the local council. (See the Guide for Merit Badge Counselors for additional details.)
- National Athletic Trainer's Association
- Amateur Athletic Union
- American Dietetic Association
- American Hearty Association
- American Council on Exercise
- American Sport Education Program
- Centers for Disease Control
- Fitness for Kids
- Inst. Intl Sports
- Intr. Food Information Council Foundation
- Mayo Clinic
- Nat. Youth Sports Safety Found.
- The President's Council on Fitness
- USA Track and Field
- U.S. Olympic Training Center