Public Speaking Merit Badge requirement resources include the Merit Badge Worksheet ,
lesson video links, and links to related Merit Badges and Boy Scout Awards.
Public Speaking is great for Scouts taking Speech or English. ◄ Prev - Next ►
|Public Speaking merit badge
| BSA Advancement ID:
| Requirements revision:
| Latest pamphlet revision:
Public Speaking requirements
- Give a three- to five-minute introduction of yourself to an audience such as your troop, class at school, or some other group.
- Prepare a three- to five-minute talk on a topic of your choice that incorporates body language and visual aids.
- Give an impromptu talk of at least two minutes, either as part of a group discussion or before your counselor. Use a subject selected by your counselor that is interesting to you but that is not known to you in advance and for which you do not have time to prepare.
- Select a topic of interest to your audience. Collect and organize information about this topic and prepare an outline. Write an eight- to 10-minute speech, practice it, then deliver it in the conversational way.
- Show you know parliamentary procedure by leading a discussion or meeting according to accepted rules of order; or by answering questions on the rules of order.
|| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Boy Scout Requirements, 2015 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #620714)
The text of these requirements may be locked. In that case, they can only be edited by an administrator.
Please note any errors found in the above requirements on this article's Talk Page.
- This badge is one of the elective merit badges of the William T. Hornaday Awards for Boy Scouts.
1, 2 & 4. Give a three- to five-minute introduction of yourself...
The Citizenship in the Community #8 public presentation...of your community
could be given as a Communications #3 five-minute speech
using the techniques from Photography #4b to produce a picture story
and Art #1 to tell a story with...pictures
which could be developed into the Computers #6e short presentation.
- Also see Communications #3. "Write a five-minute speech. Give it at a meeting of a group. "
3. http://homeworktips.about.com/od/speechclass/a/fastspeech.htm How to give an Impromtu Speech] step-by-step instructions.
Lesson Videos: How to Do an Impromptu Speech: What is an Impromptu Speech? - Speech Delivery: Impromptu Speaking - Getting Your Thoughts Together - Staying Focused - Note Cards - Benefits - Disadvantages
5. Show you know parliamentary procedure by leading a discussion or meeting according to accepted rules of order; or by answering questions on the rules of order.
5. For instance, serve as the Master of Ceremonies for a Court of Honor or lead a Patrol Leaders' Council meeting.
Public Speaking #1. "Give a three- to five-minute introduction of yourself" is similar to Communications #3 "Write a five-minute speech. Give it at a meeting of a group."
Personal Development Awards