Silver Beaver Award
|Line 31:||Line 31:|
Awards are presented for service at the District, Council, Regional, National, and World level.
|Silver Beaver Award|
Established in 1931, the Silver Beaver Award is presented for distinguished service to young people within a BSA local council. More than 50,000 recognitions have been conferred to date. A recipient must be a registered adult member of the BSA, and the awards are bestowed at appropriate local functions. Silver Beaver Awards are presented on the basis of the number of units in a council. The awards are bestowed at appropriate local functions. Silver Beaver Awards are presented on the basis of the number of units in a council.
The award consists of a silver beaver suspended from a blue and white ribbon worn around the neck. Recipients may wear the corresponding square knot, with a white strand over a blue strand, on the BSA uniform.
The Silver Beaver was introduced in 1931 as a pin-on medal, but due to the heavy weight of the medallion it was switched over to a neck ribbon in mid-1932. A blue-white-blue ribbon bar was introduced in 1934 for informal uniform wear. In 1946, ribbon bars were replaced by the current knot insignia.
The Silver Beaver was initially awarded only to men. The Silver Fawn Award, an equivalent for women was awarded starting in 1971. It used the same knot insignia, but on a blue background. The Silver Fawn was discontinued and the Silver Beaver began to be awarded to women in 1974. A total of 2,455 Silver Fawns were awarded to outstanding women for support of Cub Scouting before the award was discontinued in 1974.
The Silver Beaver Award is not earned but awarded based upon nomination.
Distinguished Service Awards
The Boy Scouts of America recognizes the need to acknowledge the invaluable services that men and women render to youth. Of the millions of registered adult volunteers in Scouting, only a select few are presented distinguished service awards at these level:
- District Award of Merit for outstanding service at the district level
- Silver Beaver for service at the unit, district or council level
- Silver Antelope for service at the regional or area level
- Silver Buffalo for service at the national level
- Silver World for service to Scouting at an international level
- Distinguished Service Awards Fact Sheets. Boy Scouts of America.
- Illustrated History of BSA Square Knot Evolution and Private Issues - SageVenture.
- Silver Beaver Medals Mitch Reis. Boy Scout Memorabilia, Patches And Collectibles
- The Silver Fawn Medal - The Virtual Cub Leader's Handbook.
- List of recipients of the Silver Buffalo Award
- Silver Buffalo Time magazine article, May 10, 1926
- Scouter Awards for information on over 30 adult leader awards
- Awards for information on over 30 awards for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturers.