Silver World Award
| This is a stub... Please help improve this article or section by expanding it.|
Further information might be found on the talk page.
|Silver World Award|
The Silver World Award is presented by the BSA to world citizens who give outstanding service to their nation's youth or to young people in other countries. Award recipients must be citizens of countries whose Scout associations are members of the World Scout Conference. United States citizens may receive the recognition only if they are not registered members of the Boy Scouts of America.
The award consists of a silver medallion enameled in blue with meridian lines, stars and the universal emblem of the BSA suspended from a red and white striped ribbon worn around the neck. The medallion represents the global scope of the award. Recipients may wear the corresponding square knot, with a design that reflects the award.
The Silver World Award was created in 1971 and originally was presented to those who provided international service to the Scouting programs of the BSA, but were not registered members of the BSA.
Nominations were to be approved by the Chief Scout Executive, the national president, the international commissioner or the national commissioner, all of whom had the authority to present to any persons they might choose. In 1994, the Executive Board realized that about half of the awards presented had been awarded to registered members of the BSA, and the authority to present the award outside the criteria was rescinded.
The Silver World Award is not earned but awarded based upon nomination
Distinguished Service Awards
The Boy Scouts of America recognizes the need to acknowledge the invaluable services that men and women render to youth. Of the millions of registered adult volunteers in Scouting, only a select few are presented distinguished service awards at these level:
- District Award of Merit for outstanding service at the district level
- Silver Beaver for service at the unit, district or council level
- Silver Antelope for service at the regional or area level
- Silver Buffalo for service at the national level
- Silver World for service to Scouting at an international level
- Distinguished Service Awards Fact Sheets. Boy Scouts of America.
- Illustrated History of BSA Square Knot Evolution and Private Issues - SageVenture.
- Silver Beaver Medals Mitch Reis. Boy Scout Memorabilia, Patches And Collectibles
- The Silver Fawn Medal - The Virtual Cub Leader's Handbook.
- List of recipients of the Silver Buffalo Award
- Silver Buffalo Time magazine article, May 10, 1926
- Scouter Awards for information on over 30 adult leader awards
- Awards for information on over 30 awards for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturers.