Special Knots, and Advanced Knots, for Wolf, Bear, Webelos, Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class.
Sheet Bend is as easy to tie and untieAshly states that: "There have probably been more lives lost as a result of using a square knot as a bend (to tie two ropes together) than from the failure of any other half dozen knots combined." The
|— Boy Scout Handbook p. 8|
Note: The Square knot comes untied easily and is not as strong as a Sheet bend.
- Required for
- Wolf Electives 17a. Learn to tie an overhand knot and a square knot.
- Bear 22b. Tie a square knot, bowline, sheet bend, two half-hitches, and slip knot. Tell how each knot is used.
- Webelos Outdoorsman #11. ...Show how to tie a square knot and explain how it is used.
- Webelos Arrow of Light #2 Tie the joining knot (square knot).
- Scout #6: Demonstrate tying the square knot (a joining knot).
- Small-Boat Sailing #7a: Square (Reef) knot - Clove hitch - Two half-hitches - Bowline - Cleat hitch - Figure Eight
- Sea Scout Apprentice #5. Square knot - Bowline - Clove hitch - Sheet bend - Two half-hitches - Figure Eight - Cleat hitch
Right over left, left over right, makes a knot tidy, and tight.
The Square knot is one of the Forty Knots.
- See also