| This is the Swimming merit badge for Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturers.|
Webelos Scouts can earn the Aquanaut activity badge.
Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts can earn the Cub Scout Swimming belt loop and pin.
| Swimming merit badge is an option for the Eagle Scout rank.|
Scouts can choose to earn Cycling or Hiking instead.
|Swimming merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||014|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2008|
|“||Swimming is a leisure activity, a competitive sport, and a basic survival skill. Scouts who earn this badge will learn about safety when swimming and diving, how swimming can contribute to overall fitness and health, and gain some basic competitive swimming skills||”|
The Swimming merit badge was one of the original 57 merit badges issued by the Boy Scouts of America in 1911.
Swimming merit badge requirements
- Swimming merit badge is on the Eagle Scout required list (requirement 3.j.). It is one choice of a group of three merit badges on the list.
- The BSA Aquatics Troop Program Feature offers meeting and activity plans to include Swimming as one of your monthly themes.
- Item 9b meets Sea Scout Apprentice rank required list (requirement 8).
- Swimming merit badge is on the Sea Scout Ordinary rank required list (requirement 12).
- Swimming is a popular summer camp merit badge.
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See First Aid Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: First Aid Merit Badge Pamphlet - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Guide to Safe Scouting - Physcial
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See Swimming Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: Swimming & Lifesaving Merit Badge Pamphlets - Guide to Safe Scouting - Safe Swim Defense - Safety Afloat
- Second Class rank requirements:
- First Class rank requirements:
4. Diving (has feet-first entries as well) - Survival Floating
5. Front Crawl - Trudgen - Back Crawl - Sidestroke - Breaststroke - Elementary Backstroke
6a. Survival Floating
6b. Personal Floatation Device HELP and huddle positions
6c. Survival Floating & hypothermia
7. Surface Diving
8a. Snorkeling - SCUBA
8b2. Front Crawl - Back Crawl - Breaststroke - Butterfly
8b3. Swimming Turns
8b4. Sport of competitive swimming
9. Safe Swim Defense - Diving
- Aquatic Awards Links
Sports and Fitness Awards
|General Merit Badge information